Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Kingston Plantation Villas in Myrtle Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone can give some info here. I have a 1 bedroom villa reserved at Kingston Plantation for the second week in July. This will be my family's 1st time to Myrtle and we a looking forward to it.
My only problem is that I am a little weary about the villa, reservations were not able to tell me much about it, other than it was a one bedroom with a kitchen and livingroom. All the pictures on their web site just show the 2 or 3 bedroom villas. Is there someone out there that has stayed at one of these villas or stayed on the grounds and can tell me a little more about them. Most important are they clean? Also any suggestions on what to do around that area. Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:56 AM
GoTravel

I've stayed at Kingston in the past but not in the villas.

The entire property is around 300 acres and includes and oceanfront Embassy Suites and an oceanfront Hilton. There are 4 highrise condo buildings.

The grounds are lush and meticulously maintained as are any accommodations I've stayed in.

The Health Club is a multi million dollar deal. It isn't your ordinary hotel gym.

There are probably 20 swimming pools on property as well as a waterpark for kids.

The beach there is very wide and pretty.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:34 PM

GoTravel is right on the money. Kingston Plantation is the best resort area in Myrtle Beach. I would be shocked if your villa is not very nice (and certainly clean). The only thing to be aware of is that your villa may be a little bit of a walk to the beach (some are farther from the beach than others).

Relax, you have made a great choice. And the beach is very good where you are--I live perhaps 1.5 miles from where you're staying, so I know it well.

As for things to do in the area, what are your interests? If you can narrow it down a bit, I'll be glad to try to help.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Very nice property. Pretty grounds and I found the housekeeping service excellent. We too thought it was the nicest property in the area. Much,nicer that the high rise properties.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. I do feel a little more at ease. I know there a lot of things to do at myrtle. Maybe someone can give me some advice on places to go with my family. I will be traveling with my wife and my 4 year old son. I had heard that myrtle is very busy place and traffic is crazy. We want to try avoid the areas that are to crowded. Thanks again for your answers.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:38 AM
iceeu2

Your whole family will likely enjoy the aquarium.
Take plenty of sunscreen because you know the 4 year old will want to do the beach and pool.....beach and pool......beach and pool!!!!
If you like fried oysters, shrimp and flounder head up to Calabash, NC for a scrumptious, inexpensive meal at any of the Calabash restuarants...Our favs are the Calabash Seafood Hut and Coleman's. We have eaten at Etta's and Beck's which are also great.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Ineed,

I'll bet your 4 year-old will love Alligator Adventure. It's in Barefoot Landing (a shopping complex) just north of where you're staying (take a right coming out of KP, then right onto Highway 17, go about 2 miles and you'll see it on your left). And while you're at Barefoot, you might consider taking a *river* cruise on the Barefoot Princess--it navigates down the intracoastal waterway to the Waccamaw River (at least I believe it goes that far).

Also, your son might like the Broadway at the Beach area--it's on Highway 17 Bypass in MB. Broadway itself has a miniature golf place called Dragon's Lair (with a fire-breathing dragon that emerges periodically). Across the highway, there is the NASCAR speedpark, with a variety of go-kart rides; there is also a water-park a little farther south on 17.

Finally, there are two amusement parks in the heart of MB--the Pavillion at about 9th Avenue North is the most famous.

As to crowds & traffic, yes there will be plenty. The busiest place is usually Kings Highway (Business 17) through MB and south through Surfside & Garden city. The other locals will kill me, but there are several parallel roads that offer an alternative to much of the traffic: Highway 31 (6 lanes, non-stop, 60 MPH, from Highway 9--Little River area--to Highway 501) and the Robert Grissom Parkway (in-between Business 17 and By-pass 17, from 38th Ave North to the airport south of Highway 501, with access to by-pass 17 at that point).

Highway 31 can be accessed via Highway 22, which spills you out onto Kings Road, the street KP is on, that makes it a good alternative to sitting in traffic northbound on 17, waiting to turn onto Lake Arrowhead road to get to KP when coming back from MB.

Some great restaurants close to you (say, within 5 miles) are:

Thoroughbreds (turn left out of KP, right onto Lake Arrowhead Rd, then right onto 17, it's a block up on your right).

Rossi's (even closer--same as above, but you'll see Rossi's in the Galleria shopping center on your left before you get to 17.

Sea Merchant's House (in North Myrtle Beach on 17, it's on the left a few miles after Barefoot Landing--it looks a little shabby on the outside, but it's a great, reasonably priced restaurant)

Bone-Fish Grill (from Lake Arrowhead Rd, turn left on 17, and it's about 3 or 4 miles on your right).

Cafe Amalfi (at the Hilton in KP, is usually very good too).

For Pizza, any California Pizza Kitchen will be your best bet (there's one in Barefoot).

There are lots of others, as you'll see.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Call the hotel direct and ASK where your 1 bed villa is located...

Sometimes the 1 bedroom villa is located in the HOTEL itself=which is ideal...And sometimes it is WAY far away from the beach-ie. LONG WALK--as a lot of the villas are right at the edge of the property across from a golf course.....

Ask if the VILLAS are like townhouses or like a 1 bed hotel suite...You want the 1 bed hotel suite as it is in the hotel itself with ALL the amenities right there..and you are super close to the beach...

They also have HIGH RISE condos which are right on the beach...So make sure you call reservations and ask at the front desk so you don't have a MAJOR walk to the ocean..as it can be FAR!!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Ineed,

several other casual, fun restaurants nearby I should have mentioned. Driving past one of them today reminded me.

Bimini's Oyster Bar (it's on Lake Arrowhead Rd, on the right before you reach 17--very cool place).

Southern Market (across Lake Arrowhead Rd from Bimini's, in front of Rossi's, it's an upscale specialty grocery store, with lots of food prepared on site for take-out or eat-in: deserts are great; salads and wraps are excellent; lots of entre selections; and probably best of all is the shrimp salad).
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

WOW!!
This is a great web site!
Thank you all for your input. I will nerver take another vacation without checking with the nice people on thses boards. Thanks soooo much.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I going to Kingston Plantation as well June 30th - July 5th and I have the same concerns. Rented a one bedroom villa and am quite concerned aobu the cleanliness of the facility. My family went to Myrtle Beach last year and at that time a swore off the place. Not so much Myrtle Beach but the hotel we stayed at. We stayed at the Tropical Winds hotel last year and it was AWFUL!!! Dirty, Dirty, Dirty. Well, this year we got reservations at the Isle of Palms near Charleston which is a beautiful area with a GREAT beach, but we were staying at a Holiday Inn Express and paying like 150/night. One day when messing around travel sights (like 5 days ago) I saw Kingston Plantation for about the same price as teh hotel in Isle of Palms, so reluctantly, I switched. I feel as if I'm getting soooo much more for the money, plus my 3 yr old will love the splash pool......but .....all of this could backfire if they place let's me down......so...pls, someone calm my fears and tell me the one bedroom villas are great, clean and worth the money! Actually, I really don't like Myrtle Beach too much as I've found the people there to be kinda rude as compared to Charleston where hospitality is the word. So...pls...tell me it will be great!!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:13 PM
GoTravel

I don't think you can generalize that much about Charleston people being nice and Myrtle Beach being rude.

You will love Kingston. It isn't in Myrtle Beach but between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. Very very nice resort and nice beach.

Property in Kingston is very expensive so you will not find any dirty ratty condos.

I think you will be very happy with your stay.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:35 PM

I love Myrtle Beach for a family vacation. The kids like the sort of honky tonk atmosphere on the strip and the beach is beautiful. I think that Alligator Adventure may be a little too old for your 4 year old but Ripley's Aquarium is excellent and would be great for him. Either Broadway at the Beach or Barefoot Landing would probably also appeal to all of you. Get some fish food and feed the huge carp (?) and the turtles. I have not stayed at Kingston Plantation so can't comment on it.