where to start in Oregon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have 6 days in Oregon end of July and want to see Bend area and coast? How to do this efficiently? Should I do day trips from Portland to coast and then go to Bend for a couple of night stay? Any suggestions on hotel or resort?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:30 AM

allstates1,
My daughter lives in Bend and because it is Central Oregon you can drive easily to Crater Lake or over the Cascades to the Coast and swing up to Cannon Beach. Ths Cascades scenic Loop is nice and takes you near Mt. Bachelor, Broken Top and South Sister. The small town of Sisters is a nice stop to stretch your legs. The resorts like Black Butte Ranch and Sun River are nice but will add miles and time to your Coastal cravings.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:42 AM

If it's Bend and the coast you want to see, why put Portland in the mix? Why not 2-4 days in the Bend area, followed by 2-4 days along the coast?

If you're flying into Portland, take highway 26 over Mt. Hood to Bend, then, depending on how much time you have, either 126 through Eugene, 126/20 through Albany, or 126/22 through Salem to the coast. Return to Portland on 26 from either Cannon Beach or Seaside.

What about the Bend area interests you? For many it's out-of-doors activities: rock climbing at Smith Rocks (NE of Redmond), rafting on the Deschutes, hiking/backpacking around Mt. Bachelor, Three Sisters, Brokentop, etc., golf at any number of nice courses, fly fishing on the Metolius, the list goes on.... There are a number of nice places to stay central to any of those interests, but I'd recommend Sunriver, Inn of the Seventh Mountain, or Black Butte Ranch for starters.

Tell us more about what you want to do/see.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Beachbum just gave you great advice. One of our favorite places to go is Sunriver. The outdoor recreation there just cannot be beat! We usually rent a house for a week each summer at Sunriver, but we have also stayed in their River Lodge rooms and those are quite nice.

Over at the coast our favorite spot is Cannon Beach. We actually were just there again this past weekend. Surfsand Resort is our choice...right on the water, looks right out at Haystack Rock, and once you arrive you can park your car and walk everywhere.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

We want to see the highlights of both coast and mountains to sum it up. We love both and since its our first visit, we don't want to miss either. Some one had told us to just stay in Portland and do day trips to the coast. Any thoughts on that? Or skip Portland? Looks like its hard to find a room on the weekend on the coast. I was thinking of heading to Bend on Saturday when we land via via Mt Hood or Columbia River Gorge and then going to the coast later in the week. We usually go to Frisco, Colorado and love the biking around that area. We hoping Bend was a similar environment.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 01:59 PM

You can easily do day trips to the coast from Portland...it is only 90 minutes. Just depends on what you want to see.

Bend has great biking! Everything from mountain bike trails to paved paths that go for miles and miles. There is a route that goes from Sunriver all the way into downtown Bend also.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

mm - would you suggest staying in Sunriver versus Bend? We are also looking toward Oregon as a retirement state - which is one reason we decided to vacation here. How far might Eugene be from Bend in hours? Might want to ride through on our way back to the coast after our Bend stay.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:28 PM

The shortest roundtrip drive from PDX to any part of the coast is a minimum 3 - 3.5 hours, probably between 5 and 6 if you head towards Lincoln City and Newport. That seems to me like a lot of wasted time driving. And you'd be missing the Florence area with its amazing huge sand dunes and picturesque lighthouses. That's why the PDX-Bend-Coast-PDX loop suggestion.

There are many bike enthusiasts around Bend, but when I'm there, I prefer to bike on the paths within the confines of either Sunriver or Black Butte. I suggest you use either resort as a base from which to explore the area. Both are very nice. My personal preference is Black Butte because of the scenery and overall feel, but as it's closer to Bend, Sunriver might be a better location for you.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Just saw your question of mms...

Yes to staying in Sunriver vs. Bend, and, the shortest route from Bend to Eugene is somewhere around 100 miles, with the Cascade Range between the two cities.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Some facts to keep in mind--
Bend will be HOT -80s to 100s daytime but cools down at night
--Coast COOL70s/50s and often windy.
Astoria area where Columbia River reaches the ocean will be VERY busy
July and August . BIG Lewis and Clark Festival-therefore highways will be busy in that area and lodgings limited maybe as far south as Seaside???
Cannon Beach is delightful but I just love the Florence area..
Good luck.
PS "Frisco" is really SAN FRANCISCO..
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Yes, Bend will be warm...but it is a dry heat and so does not feel unbearable at all.

Allstates1--My dh just retired from the military and we felt so fortunate for him to find a job here so we could move back OR really is paradise!

Traveler24--I think the OP is referring to a town in Colorado, not SF.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes - I was referring to the town in Colorado - we had owned a ski condo there and went one summer and fell in love with it - but the altitude 9,000 makes it tough as you age. I'm now thinking of this - Landing in Portland, driving toward Columbia Gorge, spending a night near Mt Hood, then on to Bend area, then over through Eugene and up to the northern coast before departing? Any thoughts?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I think that sounds like a good plan...you get to see everything you are looking for and its a good loop. The Mt. Hood and gorge area are so pretty. I don't know much about Eugene, so can't help with that at all. When is the trip? Be sure to post and let us know what you thought of everything.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
No, on leaving Bend go south on US 97 to SR 138, (loop Crater Lake if you want) then follow SR 138 and SR 38 out to the coast, following the Umpqua all the way. The last 20 miles or so on SR 38 is by far the most scenic route of them all from I-5 to the coast, and the scenery from Reedsport north through Florence is excellent. Don't miss the Heceta Head lighthouse just north of Florence.

If time permits cross the Columbia at Astoria and return to the Portland area on the north bank of the river - more scenic, plus some interesting historic towns.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Allstates1,
The advice from Beachbum is good. Raft the Deshuttes from the Sun River or Black Butte people. So little time...so much to see...hahaha. It's getting real warm here in Florida and I can't wait for the cool weather of the Northwest. My girls races Sled Dogs so if you see a wheeled contraption being pulled by a bunch of dogs, wave...that's Kristin. Have dinner at the Pine Tavern in Bend.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

We'll be arriving July 24 - Anyone have a recommendation around the gorge or Mt Hood area? How long will it take to get from there to Sun River? Any recommendation for one night in Eugene anyone?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Try the Edgefield (www.mcmenamins.com) in Troutdale. One of McMenamins unique hotels and quite fun. It is very close to the gorge. Or there is Timberlind Lodge at Mt. Hood. Either one is a good bet. From The Edgefield it is anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to 3 1/2 hours to Sunriver, just depending on if you get behind a stream of cars or an rv. We have done that drive more times than I can count and it is so pretty...beautiful forest then high desert.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:03 AM

allstate1,
You may also want to check out the Columbia Gorge Hotel (they have a website). It's on Hwy 84 near Hood River $$$.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM

oops...can't spell...should be Timberline Lodge.

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:08 AM

McMenamin's Edgefield is just a few miles from PDX; you'd probably want to go at least as far as Hood River on day 1.

Any reason to stop in Eugene? It's not that long a drive from Bend, and if you do as Gardyloo suggested, you'll miss it altogether. If you don't take Gardyloo's recommended 97/138/38, Bend-Reedsport, consider I-5/38, Eugene-(Drain)-Reedsport. It adds a few miles to the trip, but the drive along the Umpqua River is one of the most scenic in the state, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -