Reload this Page >

First Night in Maui suggetions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Deblynn

We will be getting into Maui about 3:00 on a Saturday in June. We will be staying for the first 3 nights @ the Sheraton at Kaanapali. Not sure whether we should make reservations for a nice dinner the first night. How fast will we get checked in? I don't want to overbook us with things to do and places to be, yet I don't want to waste nights doing nothing. Any suggestions of itinerary that first night? Thanks

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deblynn...

you can't go wrong booking a night a "warren and annabelle's" magic-comedy show. it's right down town on the water. you'll have a ball. bone up on your andy griffith show trivia facts and you will win free drinks.

warren is really incredible and funny.

do a google search and take a look at their web page for information.

best,

keith
memphis
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:09 AM

By the time you get your luggage and car and get checked into the Sheraton, it will be well after four. Why don't you plan on heading over to nearby Whaler's Village for a sunset meal at Leilani's. Looking out over the water, sipping your drink, you'll KNOW you've arrived!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Excellent suggestion, Crazy4hawaii! As a matter of fact it is an excellent suggestion not only for the first night but also for EVERY night.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:08 AM

If you're coming from the east coast, don't plan for a dinner much past 7pm, because with the time change you'll be falling asleep in your entree.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM

We're getting in at 2 pm in April- staying at the Hyatt. Plan to walk to whaler's village and eat at either leilani's or hula grill depending on wait times/menus/how tired we are! Hard to make ressies for first night due to time change difference-don't know how hungry/tired you'll be-this way you won't have to drive. Would NOT recommend Warren & Annabelle's show for the first night as you have to be there around 5 p.m. Probably should wait til you're on island time to do this and enjoy dinner and the show
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Yes, depending on where you are flying in from (if East Coast) by the time you check into the hotel you will be absolutely exhausted. Have dinner right away & then go to sleep. If you can sleep til even 5AM consider yourself lucky!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:16 AM

WE got in at 3 pm on Maui last fall as well. by the time we picked up oru car adn drove to our hotel in rush hour traffic it was 5 pm. We were tired form the long day and just had dinner at our hotel.

I would recommend having dinner at one of the nice outdoor restaurants there on the beach near your hotel and making an early night of it.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another vote for playing it by ear upon arrival. I personally would not want to have special reservations or tickets "hanging over my head" after a long plane ride and arriving in paradise!

Get checked in, walk along the beach, have a drink at an open air bar some place, have a romantic low-key dinner, and turn in early. Even if you coming from west coast US/Canada there's a two hour time change backwards.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:32 PM

We love going to Kimo's in Lahaina whenever we arrive in Maui. There's Tiki Torch outside seating right on the water. The fish there is incredible. Truly a great place. Enjoy!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM

I agree with Suzie, espeically if you are coming from the East Coast because you really will be exhausted. I am sure you will have nice restaurants at your hotel and you can eat there and relax. You really do not want to make your self stressed out by having tickets to a show when you feel like you might fall asleep in the middle of it. Have a nice dinner and walk around the grounds of your hotel. Maybe go down to the beach and watch the sunset. The most important thing is to be relaxed, which is what Hawaii is all about!!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:16 AM

One more suggestion, stay awake as late as you possibly can once you arrive. You probably won't make it much past 8:30pm. Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to take a short nap thinking that you'll just sleep for 30 minutes, because you won't. You'll fall asleep for 8 hours and wake up at 3-4am, with nothing to do. By staying awake as late as possible, you force yourself into the new time zone, and you'll have little (if any) problems adjusting for the rest of the trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:37 AM

You will love the Sheraton! It was my favorite hotel of our 4 island trip. My husband and I ate supper at the Sheraton's restaraunt on the lower level and thought it was good. It is completely open to the outside and very relaxing. The hotel also has a great breakfast buffet.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Absolutely go to sleep early - no later than 9! I slept til about 5:30 or 6am that day and was thrilled! The spas/gyms open early - not that you'd want to work out, but you can walk around the grounds of the hotel & check 'em out. The beach is nice & quiet then ... perhaps take a nice swim, beach or pool if it's open? Pool will get more crowded later & it's hard to get a real swim in - if you like doing laps or something?
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM

"Go to bed early." "Stay up as late as you can." Lots of conflicting advice here. Unfortunately an inherent problem with forums like this one is that you don't know if you are getting advice from an 80 year old person or a 20 year old person. People of various ages who have travelled various distances will experience varying degrees of fatigue on their first day. My personal experience is that if you are under 40, you are fairly active, you are coming from the east coast, and you are used to staying up until midnight, you will be tired but not extremely tired the first night (especially considering the excitement of actually being in Maui). Don't waste your first night sleeping.

If you are coming from the west coast the time change should not be a major factor.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:35 AM

lol How abut go to bed when you're ready? Some people instantly adjust to the time change, some never will in a week's time and others don't want to. I have friends who refuse to reset their internal clock for one week and are up and running at dawn.

But I'd forgo reservations for dinner on that first night. It might take as long as two or three hours (or more) before you are settled in your room. I've seen the lines at the rental counters be short and quick, and I've seen them take forever. Then you have to drive all the way to Ka`anapali. Could be traffic--might not. There are plenty of places nearby where you can kick it for dinner and a maitai.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Lots of good advice and lots of conflicting advice. I agree that it's a matter of how your system adjusts to the time change. We come from the midwest, so it's a 4 hr difference. After arriving, getting the car, getting checked in, I'm usually pretty wiped out. I prefer to just coast into the island life and have a small meal and tropical drink somewhere along the beach. I try to stay up until at least 9:00 and then take a Tylenol Pm before going to bed. A strange bed, strange noises and fatigue usually make for a restless night for me without a little help from the Tylenol. I usually then sleep until 6:30 or 7:00 and am ready to take on the day. Do plan to see Warrne and Annabelle sometime during your stay. I laughed so hard and so much that my face actually hurt afterwards. Very entertaining and mind boggling, as well. Have a great time!
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Deblynn

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! We will be coming from Utah, which is a 3 hour time difference. We will probably be starving upon arrival as we leave about lunch time, and I just read that they are not serving meals on Delta flights to Maui. We will be taking some snacks and then just going to play it by ear, and check in, having dinner @ Whalers Village by our hotel, and making a fairly early night of it. I do have a motion sickness problem, and will not feel real great upon arrival, so will just take it easy in paradise! Thanks again. And yes, we plan on seeing Warren & Annabelles show sometime while in Maui.