Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What should we do our last night in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to Maui at the end of this month. We have lots of things planned but so far we have nothing planned for our last night on the island (which happens to be a Friday night). Does anyone have any suggestions? We are staying in Lahaina and are open to driving a little bit but closer would be better.

Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Don't plan a thing! You will probably find a favorite restaurant during your trip, so return there on your last night and have dinner. Follow that with a walk on the beach, or a nightcap at your favorite bar. Don't plan too much! You'll be on "Hawaii time" by your last day so go with the flow!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Friday night is "Art Night" in Lahaina town. All the art galleries showcase their artists in house, serve refreshments, sometimes meet the artist in person. Just stroll all along Front Street and see what's happening at each gallery. They have a similar (but smaller) one at the Shops of Wailea on Wednesdays.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Both of these are great ideas! My husband and I love to go to galleries so we'll definitely do that. I'm a bit concerned about finding a restaurant and a place to enjoy a few drinks though. We were planning on making our own meals most of the time and because we're avid divers, we won't be able to drink except for that night. So, if anyone has any suggestions on where we should do dinner and drinks in Lahaina, I'd love some advice. We like casual, contemporary dining with a nice atmoshpere and NO SMOKING!! As far as the drinks, someplace fun and again, NO SMOKING! Thank you again!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Why does being avid divers mean you can't drink. I undestand why it is not a good idea to "dive drunk" but why can't you drink except fot one night?
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:38 PM

There are lots of casual restaurants all along Front Street. I'd suggest Kimo's, Cafe O'Lei, Cheeseburger in Paradise, or Bubba Gumps. They are all located on the waterfront with unobstructed ocean views. Moose McGillicuddy is located directly across the street from Cafe O'Lei (upstairs above Lassen's galley) and they have good food and drinks at great (cheap) prices, especially early bird specials and at happy hour (sometimes cheaper to eat there than McDonalds). Mooses is where the locals hang out.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:39 PM
gyppielou

Well, if you're avid divers, I would take this chance to hit the beach. My all time fav on Maui is Makena.... spend those last precious moments body surfing and hanging with more locals than you'll find on other beaches. Watch the sunset. Stop at Tommy Bahama Bar for an on the way home cocktail in Wailea Shops....then head home and take suggestions from others. Really, you must float in those colors on that beach to bottle it in your memories before you get voted off the island.....

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions! I'm so excited to get to go to Maui and this website has really helped with our plans. Just to answer Rusty, we were planning on doing night dives and all the boat dives leave very early so there wouldn't be much time to go out inbetween. Additionally, alcohol is a diuretic and the last thing I want is to be dehydrated while diving or getting ready to dive. I know, I could just have one but I must admit, that's always hard when you mix great atmosphere and a yummy mixed drink.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Just another restaurant recommendation for your last night's dinner--David Paul's in Lahaina. The food is EXCELLENT and love the elegant, yet casual atmosphere. It's right off of Front St. in Lahaina, so it would be perfect before or after a stroll by the art galleries. You could walk down to Cheeseburger in Paradise for a drink on the roof afterward. I'm not 100% sure that the restaurant is non-smoking, so you might double check that with them. I don't smoke or like to be around it and I don't remember it bothering me there.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:48 AM

We were on Maui last year, all business including bars are non smoking, like California. So you can go where you want
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM

COOL! Why can't we pass that law here in Arkansas - and everywhere else.