Search

First night in Hana

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First night in Hana

Hello all, need some valued opinions.
We are going to Maui for a week on Dec. 10, isn't the first trip and sure as heck won't be the last. We are thinking of making a relatively quick drive to Hana for our first night there. The plane lands around 2 p.m., with 3-4 quick view stops, would we be there by dark? We want to hike the full 4 miles of the Pipiwai trail with our 19 year old daughter, so I figured that we'll do that next morning early, then head to Kaanapali via the road around the bottom, where we've never been and would like to see. We have res. at the Sheraton on the 11th.

I'm afraid that a one-day drive all the way around, including the trail, could be a bit much for my carsicky daughter in the back seat for hours and hours.

NEXT trip, it'll be 2 nights in Hana!

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM

That sounds like too much on Day 2.

How about you let your daughter drive and you sit in the back for 5 hours while traveling rough roads around sharp turns. Doesn't sound fun does it?
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM

gigib, it is very difficult to find one night rentals in Hana...where would you stay? To me, it isn't day two that's the problem (I don't see the return taking five hours unless you stop alot), it's trying to get to Hana so quickly...somehow it just seems like you won't enjoy it as much if you rush. Can you push back the Sheraton one night and stay two in Hana?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

No, we've only got 3 nights at the Sheraton and 3 nights at the Marriott Wailea, then home. For years we've wanted to stay at the Sheraton, this will be our first time! Hana Kai has a 1 bedroom available for 1 night. I figure we'll spend more time at Hana on another trip without teenager. Daughter is very good at sleeping in the back seat, I'll have to feed her dramamine, then keep her awake so she doesn't miss the scenery!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM

The answer is, yes you can make the drive before dark easily, without too many sight-seeing stops. I've never known anyone to become sick, but maybe take a pill before the drive if she's prone to car sickness?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:14 PM

By the way, the drive around the south will take you through Kahului again, then to Kaanapali--it is a very nice drive, very interesting scenery, and the road was pretty good the last time we drove it (in June). I think, if you are on the road by early to mid afternoon, you can easily make Kaanapali before dark with a few photo stops. (Count the miles; even remembering the slowness of the drive,it's really not that far.)