Am I making a mistake going to Hana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so my itinerary for Sept./Oct. is pretty well set -- the full 5 weeks in Hawaii, and I am excited about everything except for one thing. I had planned to end my stay in Maui (10 days total) after a week at a condo in Kihei with either two or three nights in Hana. I have to get back to OGG to fly home (2 PM flight)on the third day after my Kihei stay.

I will be traveling alone and I'm normally not too good at "doing nothing", but I thought Hana might be a good alternative. Yet I don't want to cook and eat alone -- how utterly depressing -- and now it looks like there is NOWHERE to eat -- on Sunday, Monday, and possibly Tuesday nights when I would be there.

I also had planned to stay at one of these places -- referred to as "Plantation accomodations":

www.hana-maui.com/accommodations.html

But when I emailed them, I only got back a short reply which said "we aren't reserving that far in advance". No "check with us after ___", no "thanks for checking with us", no anything. When I go to Trip Advisor I now see devastating reviews of the "drunk" who runs the place and has literally driven people away. I don't want to spend way over $100 a night, and I'm really not getting turned on by ANY accomodations there.

So the real question is -- is there a better alternative of how to spend my final 2 to 3 days in Hawaii? Maybe go to Molokai? Somewhere else on Maui? Or should I stick with the original plan and hope it all turns out?

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM

I say go with your gut feeling. If you are uncomfortable with the Hana section then don't go. Personally after that type of response I wouldn't stay or go there

You can take a ride to hana and come back the same day or take a tour so you don't have to do the driving.

You can split your stay with Kiehi and somewhere in West Maui if you don't want to stay put in one place the whole time or choose another island
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Neo, maybe that response was just a computer generated one due to the fact they get many requests, etc. Before I would cancel I would call the site manager and see how they are on the phone directly. If they don't repond to you as they think they should, it would then be an easy decision to make.

How about staying upcountry for the last few nights?
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Hmmm, as YOU think they should.

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Patrick, I have not been there for a few years, so perhaps it's built up. But when I was there, there really wasn't much when we arrived in Hana. If you aren't good at 'vegging' then I'd say just do the drive and come back on the same day. Or maybe stay one night.

Sorry I don't have an alternative plan.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I agree. I would just do the drive to Hana and check out the sights along the way and then come back. There's isn't much to do and see in Hana itself. If you're not good at doing nothing, I would want to stay somewhere else.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM

The restaurant at the Hotel Hana Maui is open every night of the week as is the bar. The bar menu is a nice alternative to the restaurant menu.

The Ranch restaurant is open for dinner only on Wednesdays and Fridays.

If there are ball games being played at the diamond in town, there can be vendors selling homemade things like laulau or kalua pork.

Sounds like you should go elsewhere.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM

I reread your post and since you are not turned on by the Hana accommodations, I would say check out upcountry in Makawao for a few days.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM

"There's isn't much to do and see in Hana itself."

This opinion is what has kept Hana they way it is all these years. Yay!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM

If your gut says no, then don't. I have never stayed in Hana but if you're not into vegging, Hana will not be for you!

I agree with the others, if you're going to stay somewhere else on Maui, you might consider Makawao or Kula. There are more locals in Kahului or Wailuku, but I don't know where to stay in that area.

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM

I lived in Paia for a year which I loved, but nothing compares to Hana.
I would travel to Hana by myself when I had a couple of days off in a row, because I loved it soo much.

My husband and I recently went on vacation to Hawaii and stayed in Hana the whole time. PURE BLISS. The drive is far, but well worth it. You will be just fine and I highly recomend it. Hana is untouched. There is a little grocery store you can get food at.And really inexspensive cabins to rent in the area. Venus pools and the black sand beach are my favorite places in all of the islands. Both places are surreal and never congested with people. The
people in the town are warm and friendly. GO TO HANA!! We stayed here http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/hanatr/
and they owners are warm,
the places are clean and they are priced well. Bring a book, listen to good music and go check out the little bar in the hotel. You will Love it.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Jdela, I thought I'd looked at EVERYTHING there is in Hana accomodation wise, but missed that one, which seems quaint and cute -- even though it is $167 a night for just one person! How far is it from there to Hana Town and the hotel bar?

I guess one concern I have is that just being on my own now, while "isolation" sounds kind of neat -- sitting by myself and eating all alone in a deserted cottage sounds very sad and very depressing! But if the Hotel bar (with food) is always open and not too far to drive to . .
Soaking in the hot tub sounds good also.

I'm reading more about the "upcountry". I had planned to do a drive or two there during my week in Kihei. I'm staying in one condo for a full week, because basically two of those days are free -- it's a super week rate, and plan to explore much of the island from there. Breaking it up into a couple of places really raises the prices. The upcountry B&Bs all seem to have two or three night minimums or are quite expensive for a single night. I'm not sure I accomplish anything by staying somewhere "upcountry" for three nights as opposed to Hana.

On another thread I raised the possibility of spending two nights in Hana so I could take a leisurely afternoon driving back from Hana, then spend a night nearer the airport so I wouldn't be "pressured" to drive the road FROM Hana in the morning getting to the airport. After 5 relaxing weeks I'm not sure I want to be pressured by a drive to the airport on a road that should be taken leisurely. I guess I could spend two nights in Hana -- if this little "alternative Hawaii" cottage is available for that and then a final night up in Makawao or somewhere else -- closer than Hana to the airport.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM

How about only spending one night in Hana?

Another option would be to stay at Mama's. Not inside the restaurant; they have rooms! It's at the start of the road to Hana, so you could drive out there, then come back that night. Great food, and the location has always seemed like a nice place to stay to me!

Makawao is a great town. I wouldn't mind spending a night there either.

You could also take the ferry from Maui to Lanai. The Four Seasons are above your target budget, but there is a quaint little inn (Lanai city Inn?? not sure) that might be fun for a night or two. You could go up and eat or hang out at the Lodge or Manele Bay without staying there.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Hello Again,

I sent you the wrong link.
http://www.hana-maui.com/hph.hideaway.html
This place is 85$ a night.
Here you go. We stayed in this studio and right across the street is Venus pools.
The bar and town are 5-10 minutes, everything in Hana is close by. The hotel bar stays open till 2:00 and they sometimes have live music. It is really easy to meet people in Hana. So if you are social I don't think you will have to spend a lot of time by yourself. I always met people when I went through there and made buddies I would meet up with at the beach or hang out and drink beers with them.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Icuy, I had thought about spending my last night at Mama's and eating there as well, but not only are the single rooms very expensive ($195 with tax) but they also have a three night minimum! Don't want to do that.

But you bring up the point about Lanai. Or what about Molokai? Worth doing either for an overnight or two nights for a different venue?
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Ooh and Mama's is awesome, although you will still have a drive ahead of you if you stay there. I use to work there as a baker. I would recoment staying in Hana, the drive takes it out of you. Although, definently eat at Mama's they have some of the best food on the island. Also, when you are in Kihei go to Makena (big beach) right around the corner is little beach. It is the place to party and meet people. If anything it makes for some funny people watching. I met some surfers there from Indonedsia and camped and surfed with them for a week.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I don't know about Molokai. It's very "country"', and tourists are not looked upon very favorably by locals.

I have been, but got bored fairly quickly, despite having friends there.

That said, the mule ride and tour of Kalapapa are worthwhile if you do go to Molokai.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM

The Old Wailuku Inn is nice and quaint and sort of close to the airport. I stayed there years ago, but it appears from the reviews on TA to still be a great place. Wailuku is off the tourist map and there are a few good restaurants too.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Ouch! Jdela, that new link for Hideway IS the place I wanted to stay but got that rather short unhelpful reply from the owner -- (yes it is HIS email (Tom) that was sent) -- the one that there are also so many complaints about on Trip Advisor. I'm not sure I'd have a problem, I just reacted badly to his failing to even comment when I should email again -- he sure didn't seem interested in being helpful when I emailed him! The place looks great and is priced great.

So am I starting to sound like a whiner? Yes, the Old Wailuku Inn looks nice -- but the rooms START at $184 a night. I'm spending so much on this trip, that the thought of nearly $400 for just two of the 35 nights kind of gets to me. I guess I'm spoiled with the one bedroom oceanfront condos I'm getting everywhere else for around $100 or less a night! And I've never been much of a B&B or small inn type person. The Old Wailuku has no vacancy for my Sunday night, but does have Mon and Tues open and a two night minimum. I could swallow the price better if I were going to Hana for two nights, then coming back to Old Wailuku Inn for one, but they won't allow that.

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM

It is getting harder to find nicely located places for less than $150 a night. The little cottage in Hana that I rented for $85 a night about 10 years ago is on vrbo these days for around $200 a night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -