Search

First trip to hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to hawaii

New to forum.
This is going to be our first trip to hawaii, i hope of many to come. It will be just me and my wife and it is our first trip away from any family at all.
I am looking for suggestions on possibly which islands we should look at. I am planning on about 7 days total. I am not too worried about the money this trip but dont want to spend 1000/night anywhere either. I am looking at ohau and BI but not sure. any suggestions?
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM

My wife and I spent 10 days in HI over the summer and loved every second of it. When we go back, we'll fly into Maui and skip Oahu. There's so much hustle and buste on Oahu/Waikiki that it isnt as relaxing as the other Isles. Kauai is just jaw dropping and Maui is fun, fun, fun. Peruse the Hawaii listings on these pages and you'll get some great advice.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Well, Waikiki doesn't necessarily represent the whole island. If you spend all your Oahu time in Waikiki, you've missed out on a lot! The island offers the best of both worlds--a busy city with happening nightlife, to deserted beaches and tropical forests. To me, it's a great way to detox & decompress before moving on to the much slower pace of the other islands.

Check out this thread:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34515901
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Plus, on Oahu you have Pearl Harbor, and the Palace, the museum...all important to visit at least once..and..well maybe it's just me..but to go to Hawaii on your first trip and not walk on Waikiki and see Diamond Head, Chinaman's Hat etc. is a shame, but what ever makes YOU happy. Then take off for one of the other Islands. Frankly I'd suggest Maui..I love the BI but it's so huge, that with limited days you may not get to see a lot unless you just drive, drive, and drive. Maui is more managable, and more laid back than Honolulu. But, as mentioned, there's a heck of a lot more to Oahu than Waikiki. Then on your next trip, if Oahu doesn't call to you, go back to Maui if you like it and add one of the other islands at that time. You can't begin to "do it all" so you have to narrow your choices. I am for sure in the minority on this board because Kauai just didn't do it for me. But, at the same time, I can't say I didn't enjoy being there, its' Hawaii for heavens sake so how bad can it be, but I'm just not going to go back. So, that's the only way you are going to find out what YOU like...try it, it's Hawaii, it's fabulous.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:52 PM
bonniebroad

fyrestar, first off, please try to stay maybe 10 nights rather than seven if you can, especially if you're coming from the East Coast. There is so much to see and do .... I would stay longer at a moderate hotel, rather than a shorter time at a very expensive one.

That said, however long you stay, I would do two to three nights on Oahu, then the rest of the visit on Kauai or the Big Island. I second Melissa Hl... Oahu is so diverse, and wonderful!

Wherever you stay, however many days ... you'll love Hawaii!

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:54 PM

fyrestar,
Hi!We have been to Kauai.I would highly recommend this island if you like a less developed place that still has alot to see and do.

If you chose Kauai..I would also go to Maui.

Or you could just spend all 7 days on the BI as it would take a week to see it as it is the largest of the Hawaiian Islands.

Good luck and I'm sure that you will have fun..wherever you end up!

Christie
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM

With 7 days I would stay on one island. I think Oahu is the right island for a first visit. There is so much to see and do and there are great places to chill out and relax as well. I would stay 3 nights somehere on Waikiki and then do the rest on the north shore. It sounds like the Turtle Bay Hotel would be in your budget. My advice is do one island with any less than 10 days.

-Bill
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:36 AM

I agree: If only 7 days, stick to Oahu for the variety it has to offer. If you can get 10 days in combine with the Big Island. I'm off to Hawaii on Saturday and will provide my journal when I return.

Monica

http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM

http://www.shaka.com/~paradise/

On Kauai. Walk to Poipu state park.

Ive stayed here and it's fantastic. A great Italian restaurant within walking distance as well.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Another thread with things to do on Oahu:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188

Besides the websites listed on the thread that are good for all islands, here's some more for other islands:

Big Island:

www.bigisland.org

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

Kauai:

www.kauaidiscovery.com

www.kauai-hawaii.com

Whatever island(s) you choose, you can't go wrong.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM

The why I love Oahu thread has just popped up again..take a look at it..tons of good stuff about that island.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, this is the kind of stuff I need.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We are going in the Spring from the east coast and I am kicking myself for only booking 9 nights. I wish I had done the 10th night. It is so far and such a long trip with a six hour time difference too. We are spending 6 nights on Oahu and 3 on Kauai. If I had 10 and it was my first trip, I would spend 5 on one island and 5 on another. You can get a feel for two islands without too much rush. Oahu is busy, but I chose to go back to it because I have kids and I thought it had more stuff to do. I chose Kauai because I hear it is the most beautiful. I have been to Maui and thought it was okay. It was a lot of golf resorts/hotels to me. The Hawaii revealed series of books are great and give an overview of each island plus where is the best (ex: horseback riding, snorkeling,etc..) on each island. Good luck and you will have a wonderful time no matter where you choose. But I am with the others, try and go for longer than 1 week if you can.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:21 PM
bonniebroad

Fyrestar, a good website to look at photos and get ideas regarding the different islands:

alternative-hawaii.com

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM

girlonethego no need to cry over spilt milk. I have done 8 days on two islands and it was fine as long as your expectations are not too high on what you can do in that time. I travel from NYC.

FYI it really would not be 5 full days of travel because you loose most of the first day you are traveling on to any outer island. There are hotel transfers, rental cars, waits at the airport.

I would head to Maui in February though because its the height of whale season. Its a smaller island too and not in rainy season for Kauai's north shore.

I have been trying to get back to Hawaii in winter for a few seasons now.

If you are up for possible stormy weather on the North SHore of Kauai you can also set your sights on some views of albatrose that time of year.

Let us know what you decide
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM

The big thing is what do YOU like to do on vacation? This will make a big difference in which island(s) you should visit.

When I went to Hawaii, I was mostly interested in staying in B&B's and seeing the volcanoes, so I did the Big Island for 9 days and a day trip to Oahu to see Pearl harbor. But other folks enjoy snorkeling more, or spending more time on the beach, etc.