First Family Visit to New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying for two days in New Orleans from Jan 1 to Jan 3rd leaving on a cruise on the 3rd. I have two boys 14 & 21....Could I please have suggestions for some good restaurants (moderately priced) and where to go for drinks / music entertainment in the evening.... I love Blues music and historic architecture.
thanks so much
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM

I read this as the Obamas going to N.O!!!

one great restaurant suggestion at the end of the trolley line is Camille Grill. It has the best pecan pie, chili cheese omelett's etc... it is a fun thing to do! moderate price

YOu will get a lot of suggestions i am sure!! Have fun!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Must go to Cafe Du Monde for chickory coffee and beignets. Get a Muffaletta at either Central grocery (take out and eat in Jackson Square) or Napoleon House which is in the quarter and has been there for years and years. It has a beautiful, huge wood bar!

What kind of food do you like and where will you be staying? Will you have a car?
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM

I agree about Central Grocery and a Muffaletta sandwich! Yum!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM

I agree about Camellia Grill -- omelette was great, but most of all, it was a fun place (counter only). Muffaletta is great (I had mine at Cooter Brown's) but only if you like olives!

We took an excellent walking tour of the French Quarter with "Friends of the Cabildo" this past May.

http://www.friendsofthecabildo.org/
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Keep in mind that some places you might want to visit in the evening for music will not allow your younger son inside. Preservation Hall allows all ages, and you can hear the music from outside. It gets crowded, so if you want to sit inside, get there early.

I do hope you will walk down Bourbon Street as it is a sight to see with lots of performers...the 3 M's - Musicians, Mimes, and Magicians that just work for tips! Same goes for Jackson Square.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM

Your kids will probably love to see the Zoo (weather permitting), the Aquarium, and the Insectarium. Tour the French Quarter and Garden District and you'll see interesting architecture.

The Gumbo Shop is a moderately priced place where you can get great Cajun food in an informal atmosphere.