Young couple's first trip to New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I am writing because my boyfriend and I just booked a trip to New Orleans over MLK weekend, January 19th-21st. I am 26 and he is 27. We will only be there from Saturday morning-Monday afternoon. We both really want to make the most of our short time in New Orleans.

We will be staying at the Intercontinental Hotel on St. Charles Street, 2 blocks from the French Quarter. We were thinking about booking tickets to see a show at House of Blues on Saturday night, and then hitting Bourbon Street.

As for Sunday night, I'm looking for suggestions for a romantic restaurant with New Orleans flavor that won't empty our wallets? Also, what would you recommend as must-see sights during the afternoon for first time visitors? We both want to do as much as possible during our stay. Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Nix the House of Blues. It's a chain and has nothing to do with New Orleans! For real New Orleans music, try Preservation Hall. You'll probably have to sit on the floor, and they don't serve drinks, but it's the REAL deal
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 08:51 PM

Bourbon Street usually has lots of local bands on the strip every night. You can also check out the Riverwalk; also the french quarter can be very time consuming.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:22 AM

For sights to see: The French Quarter itself (which includes Bourbon Street), Jackson Square, the Farmers Market, a streetcar ride and maybe a Gray Line city tour. Places to eat in the Quarter that are fairly economical could include: Petunia's for breakfast, Yo Mama's for hamburgers, Maspero's, Acme Oyster House and of course Cafe DuMonde. Enjoy the city!
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I recommend Maximo's Italian Grill. I just don't know if they reopened since Katrina. That was an excellent restaurant.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:42 AM

A great option, I always take advantage of, is the free Park Service walking tours. Once a day at 9:30am. You do need to be in line by 9am and they do "sell out", although are free. Informative- http://www.nps.gov/jela/

I agree, see some- REAL, hard core New Orleans music- and Preservation Hall is it.

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you for all of the great and informative responses. About the free walking tour- that sounds excellent! Approx how long is the tour???
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM

The Park Service walking tours are about 45 min to an hour.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Great recommendations so far. I love New Orleans - hopefully you will too and after this small taste, you will want to go back again and again...

As others have said, for such a short visit, I would stick to the FQ for the most part.

Walking tours are a great way to see the area - it really is a great city for walking. In addition to the park service tours, the Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co does a good job. We've been on their French Quarter tour as well as the Cemetery-Voodoo tour. Both were really great. They last a couple hours each.

If you like touring old houses, I recommend the Gallier House - the tour takes about 45 minutes and the house is really well done.

For nightlife, I love Bourbon St - it is a lot of fun to wander up and down, going into clubs where you like the music. Lots of live bands. No cover charge.

For a change of pace that is close by, walk over to Frenchman St, just down river from the FQ. There are a couple blocks of small clubs, restaurants, and bars.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM

We enjoyed Remoulade- they have the same dessert menu as Arnaud's. I got the impression that the two restaurants share a kitchen.

Also, I have not had the pleasure of trying the original, but Commander's Palace in Vegas was one of the best meals of my life- Paul Prudhomme and Emeril were both chefs there. I think they have quarter martini lunches. K-Paul's was also great- we didn't order wine, and it was not horrifically expensive.

Oh!! And Mother's- we stopped in and didn't have time to eat. We had to wait about an hour, and my shrimp and oyster po boy was still amazing! The debris po boy (debris is the chunks that fall off the pot roast into the juices in the pan) was so good too!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM

For po-boys, check out Johnny's Po-boys on St. Louis. I've been to Mothers a few times, but this last trip was our first time trying Johnny's. Definitely gives Mother's a run for her money

Another food recommendation is the Napoleon House - it doesn't fit the bill for the romantic restaurant you were looking for, but you might consider it for lunch. The food is great, the atmosphere is cool (best described as a crumbling ruin), and the prices are really reasonable.