Fine dining in/around Stowe, VT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm whisking my husband away to Edson Hill Manor for his 40th (no kids, no stress)in Stowe, VT in February for some skiing and R&R and am eager to try out a new dining experience. I've heard The Pitcher Inn in Warren is not to be missed, but can anyone recommend other/additional restaurants? We are foodies and love a good wine list.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:54 AM

On your way to Stowe, consider stopping in Montpelier for lunch at the Main Street Grill. It is one of the restaurants operated by the Culinary Institute. See their website. I would suggest reservations. My friends and I really enjoyed it. My husband and I have had lunch at the one on Church St in Burlington. On all occasions I have been for lunch, not dinner.
If you go for a drive, we liked Boyden Valley Winery better than the one which has wine tastings next to Cold Hollow Cider in Waterbury (the road to Stowe). Check to see if they are open in winter. The bottle label says they are open year round, located in Cambridge at the crossroads of Rts 15 and 104, seven miles from the famous drive thru scenic Smugglers' Notch. Maybe within 30 miles of Stowe. Of course, they might sell the wine right in Stowe but a tasting is fun. The bottle I'm holding is Maple Reserve (apple wine with maple).
I was surprised that I liked the Dutch Pancake place in Stowe for breakfast. The pancakes are definitely different.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:49 AM

When we were in Stowe a few summers back we ate at an Italian restaurant which was quite good. You can check if it is still in existence - Villa Tragara - on Route 100 just a few miles south of Stowe. I would describe it as a romantic place.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Unfortunately, Villa Tragara is no longer there. Try the Blue Moon Cafe in downtown Stowe - we just had an excellent meal there last weekend. The have a website (www.bluemoonstowe.com) if you want to check it out.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:11 AM
bm

I hear wonderful things about Mist Grill in Waterbury (10ish miles south of Stowe) from my co-workers who live in Waterbury. Havent been yet myself, but they've convinced me to put it on my "must try" list.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

BM, you are so right! We had the most fantastic meal at the Mist Grill just this weekend. I couldn't rave enough about it. It's casual, it's comfortable and the menu is all about fresh, local food. Chef is right there at the head of the dining room, serving guests. Wine list is affordable although we opted for some Chimay....it's really a must.