Reload this Page >

Finally, something GOOD about Scranton!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Seamus

Scranton, PA has taken a lot of hits on this board (some deserved, some not) so it's a pleasure to report that we found something good there. Steamtown is part of the National Park System, and if you are at all a train buff , or even remotely interested, it is a great place to visit. They have restored what was an actual railroad roundhouse, feature displays that let kids (and others!) walk through vintage train cars, a well-done movie that tracks the development of the railroad system in the Northeast. There are educational "yard rides" on which you board a restored car and the conductor provides narrative, and on weekends they have excursions that last a few hours. There is also a trolley museum next door, but we didn't have time to get there. Good family outing. You can get info at http://www.nps.gov/stea/home.htm

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Nikki

There's a ton of things you can do if you're around scranton for a couple days. First: you can stay in the Refurbished train station that's been made into a lovely hotel. Second: You can go to an authentic coal mine and take a ride down into the mines and see it firsthand. Third: you can stop and get some really great pizza for lunch or you can get Texas weiners (smaller, fat dogs that are grilled in half and then topped with a meat chili sauce. umm-umm-good. In the summer you can go to some of the most beautiful lakes around Lake Wallenpaupack, Lake Sheridan, Lake Carey, Harveys Lake.

Steamtown is a national park now (and a very expensive one) but taking a ride on the old steam trains is just great (especially for the kids and Dad).

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Seamus

Nikki - agree with your suggestions, and would add some great seafood at Cooper's. Don't agree that Steamtown is expensive - parking is free and convenient, admission includes the train ride and for adults only $6, kids over 5 cost $3 and under 5 are free. BTW I live Texas, and ordering a "Texas Weiner" gets you nothing but a strange look in return!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Fraidy Cat

Go down into a coal mine?? Isn't that dangerous?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Jason

Don't think I'd be heading down a coal mine anytime soon.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Reader

Didn't I see a news recent report that during a tour for a group of visiting mayors the mine tour train broke down and they had to walk a considerable distance to exit?
Is this part of the Steamtown park?

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Olga

No, the mine tour is a separate attraction just a few miles from Steamtown. Sounds pretty strange at first, but it's a piece of the history of the region and our out of town guests just loved it. People do crawl around caves looking at rock formations, why not see this, too?