Reload this Page >

Finally planning LV trip, help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:43 AM
peg

Hi - I posted in May and got terrific help from everyone here. Thought we go in summer, but are going in September instead, Sat-Mon nights. This is a budget trip (gotta have enough to play with , and I know we'll pay more for lodging Saturday, but still hope for a decent deal for all 3 nights. We have a couple of weeks to choose from, and when we go will be based on which week has the best rates.

I've looked through a lot of posts already, but have specific questions, so am gonna ask 'em.
1. Knowing conventions can drive hotel prices, is there a web site to check convention schedules?
2. I have several web sites for info and deals, but am interested if anyone has others, especially for hotels and general discussion.
3. Any thoughts on Sat-Mon as opposed to Sun-Tues? How much more should we expect to spend for Sat lodging? Not sure I have a choice, but *might* be able to move this a day later if prices and crowds on weekends are too ridiculous.

Overall, I'm interested in any observations, ideas, comments, etc. Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 09:41 AM
x

try orbitz.com or travelocity.com for some price comparisons...then ck the best priced hotel websites...when you see something good call the hotel 800 direct..and see if there are specials.AAA-AARP-manger specials-website specials....and then book.....then get onto their website e-mail for specials and if so they`ll credit a different price....

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Monique

http://vegasgangonline.com/forum/index.php?s=

Here is a board I post on alot. It is JUST Vegas and lots of good input.
May I also suggest checking www.travleax.com for rates for Vegas.
You have to download the simple software but it checks all sites for prices including the hotel websites.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:08 AM
thereuare

FWIW:

I would suspect that a Sat nite will run you ~$125-$150, while the Sun-Thur will cost you ~$50-$65. A good place to get ballpark figures is from the following hotels (click Reservations and then Rate Calendar or "Don't Know When I'm Arriving" as you'll be able to see a calendar with rates for each nite):

www.flamingolv.com
www.ballyslv.com
www.pairlv.com
(you'll get a good idea of conventions just by seeing the different rates)

This is the Vegas message board i like:
http://pub50.ezboard.com/blasvegastalk

Here's a website to check conventions:
www.vegasfreedom.com/meet-4.asp
(15,000 is a small convention by vegas standards, 50,000 is decent size, 100,00 is large)

If you could swing the Sun-Tues trip i would recommend that, just make sure any shows that you may want to see are not "dark" the only nites you'll be there.

One more thing, MANY hotels do not allow Saturday check-in (some do, but many don't), so that may want to consider that as well.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:10 AM
mare

Most hotels won't even let you book a room for Saturday arrival. They don't want people coming in on a Friday and having to say to them, "sorry, you can have a room for ONE night, but someone else has it booked for tomorrow". Sun will probably save you $50 - $100 bucks over Saturday, depending on where you stay.

September and October are big convention months in Las Vegas. The best rates you will find are probably Monday(Labor Day) then Tuesday and Wednesday.

For general discussion, www.lasvegastalk.com is probably the best, also check out www.lasvegastaxi.com

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:41 AM
jackie

I just booked my first trip to LV yesterday. Did alot of internet searching, going back and forth on all the sites to check rates--got very frustrated. Saw a site in this board for cheapovegas.com. One of the recommendations was to go to the hotel web sites directly. Voila! the rates posted at the Luxor are less than the guaranteed lowest rates elsewhere expedia/travelocity. Booked the Luxor for $59 weeknights and $119 for weekend (August 1).

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Sue

We go to LV annually. Here are some sites I like best. Go Sun-Tues. it's cheaper and less crowded. Also for best hotel rates I agree, check each hotels website. There are usually specials being offered.

www.a2zlasvegas.com
www.vegaswatch.com
www.lvl.com
www.lasvegas24hours.com

Have fun!!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 01:01 PM
peg

Thanks for all the info and web sites. I didn't know about difficulty checking in on Saturday! Guess I'll have to see if the new employer will let me take 3 days off instead of 2. Anyone else?