Final San Francisco Itinerary

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final San Francisco Itinerary

Can you advise on whether this looks do-able and OK? Also any suggestions for nice places to go in the evenings (bars, restaurants etc - we are both in our mid-twenties) would be appreciated - although we are on a fairly moderate budget.

Thanks all....

Staying at the Marriott

Day 1 - Cable Car (Powell-Hyde line), Fishermans Wharf/Pier 39, Blue & Gold Fleet Bay Cruise

Day 2 - North beach (breakfast at Mamas ? Washington Square), SF Park
Evening tour - Alcatraz

Day 3 - Big Basin State Park, Monterey/Carmel. Point Lobos State Reserve

Day 4 - Muir Wood, Sausalito & Point Reyes

Does this fit everything in? Will I be getting the real feel of SF or is there anything blindingly obvious that I have missed out on?

Thanks in advance....
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:03 AM

It seems do able!

A little hectic but do able!

As you will lose a day travel time to Montery and back, pick more scenic routes coming and going.

If you need to drop an extremity...drop the Point Reyes area, and group Marin points [all closer in] in with your North beach/SF G.G. bridge rompings.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:53 AM

If Day 4 seems to crowded, you can skip Muir Woods since you will have already seen Big Basin - that would allow you more time at Point Reyes and Sausalito.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:03 PM

Day 3 seems impossible to me. I would leave out Big Basin. Typically we would make any one of those three things a day trip. Why don't you take the ferry to Sausalito and back and eliminate the Blue and Gold tour? You'll kill two birds with one stone. Then you have the Sausalito time on Day 4 to dedicate to Muir Woods and Point Reyes, eliminating the need to go to Big Basin.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:09 PM

I would agree with Grasshopper. Big Basin is a little off route. I have been their many times and you really can't appreciate unless you have time to do a serious hike and see the waterfalls (otherwise it is a lot like going to Muir Woods). And if you do the hike-- it is nice to be able to collapse in your tent or cabin when you get back right there in the woods.

You could replace the side trip to Big Basin with by a more leisurely scenic drive down Hwy 1 from SF to see Ano Nuevo on the way down to Monterey area.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:38 PM

Mama's is FANTASTIC! You will be happy you went! I would agree with Grasshopper & Myst--maybe think about cutting out Big Basin--Monterey/Carmel is already a long day. Also on Day 2 maybe look to add Chinatown? You could always go there for dinner. San Francisco has a pretty nice Chinatown (also the place to buy souvenirs for the least amount of money).

North Beach will have tons of places for drinks in the evenings. Michaelangelo's is a great italain place--good prices ($10-$16 per pasta). After dinner they will bring you cookies and gummy bears and when you order you can ask for the cheese wheel and hack off fresh pieces of parmesan. Buena Vista in Fisherman's Wharf (right next to the cable car turnaround) is the bar who claims the start of Irish Coffee--try one, they are good! Also you can walk one block up from the Marriott for the W Hotel and have a drink at XYZ. VERY expensive drinks but have one and watch the people (very hip albeit slightly pouser crowd).

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:38 PM

While I like Big Basin, I wouldn't try to do it as part of a 1-day round trip to Monterey; it's a long and winding road back into the park (and out). You might also want to trim down Point Reyes; at least don't try to go all the way out to the lighthouse.