"Field of Dreams" -- is it worth a visit?

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

"Field of Dreams" -- is it worth a visit?

Hi -- we're going through Iowa soon and wondering if we should stop at the "Field of Dreams" movie site. We've seen the movie, and we are baseball fans to a point. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:03 PM

"If you build it, they will come"
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:17 PM

"Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa."

If you are a fan of the movie and/or baseball then yes, I say it's worth a stop. The wooden stands are still there, the field, the house (although someone does live there so you can't really tour it.) It's pretty low-key. Bring your baseball and bat! Personally, I thought it was fun - when I watch the movie now I can really picture myself there.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:35 PM

Was there many years ago and played catch in the outfield with my Dad. Looking back, it was a pretty cool father/son moment since we're both baseball fans...not rabid fans...but the appreciation of the game comes from my Dad. I would say it is definitely worth the detour. It litterally is a 'pick-up' game so bring your own equipment. There's still the graffiti carved into the bench with the movie character's initials.

I don't know if they still do this, but we were there on a Sunday and a 'team' of volunteers from the local town Dyersville showed up to play with anyone who's there. They dressed in the old style uniforms and they appeared out of nowhere from the outfield cornstalks just like Shoeless Joe. They even had the soundtrack playing from a boombox hidden in the corn. They played for a while and then disappeared back into the corn. I never figured out where they went after that.

There's been much made of the fact that the 'field' actually lies on 2 pieces of property. The folks who own the house and 2/3's of the field have always been supportive of the field in an understated way. They sell some souveniers and only ask for donations for upkeep costs. I'm not sure the adjacent land owners (most of left field) are still doing this, but to make some money, they were creating a corn maze that you could walk through for $5. Kinda cheapened the experience if you ask me.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:45 PM

The field is much better to visit later in the season when the corn in surrounding fields is high rather than now. Easier to visualize movie action.