Feedback on Spy Museum in Wash DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a quick trip to DC in the next few weeks and just found out this existed...has anyone been to it and/or the Operation Spy "experience" they are presenting? Is it worth the time/$$ spent? Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:40 AM

I've been to the museum. Even with the timed entry, it was PACKED. Uncomfortably so, and to the point where it was really difficult to see the exhibits. What I did see was interesting (I love that sort of thing), but the crowds put a major damper on it for me. This was about 3 pm on a Saturday in early April, BTW. Hope you have better luck.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Many past posts here rave about this museum, but I am with lenny. I was under-whelmed. It was crowded, any interactive exhibits were too crowded to be used. Lots of spy history stuff from the Cold War, but I would have been more interested in "how they do it" type stuff. My son and husband loved it.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM

We were there late November, the place was empty! I was surprised by the entry fee, thought it high, but really enjoyed the museum. I was actually over-whelmed by all there is to see and take in, the place looks deceptively small from the outside but once inside seemed to go on forever. This was my first time visiting the museum and DH's second--he liked it enough to return with me.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:04 AM

I live in DC and we have gone a number of times. It can be very crowded....it all depends on the time of year that you come. You should be fine in January. I would also get there when it opens for the day.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM

It depends on how much you enjoy spy and detective stuff. The lines to get in were long, so check out when it opens and get there early.

I did enjoy it, it has a variety of spy history both fictional and real.

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input...my husband does find the "how do they do it" perspective intriguing!Has anyone paid extra for the "interactive" experience or is this something new they are trying? I can prebuy tickets before we actually get there...
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM

After reading the description of the interactive experience on the museum's web page we must have paid the extra $! I just assumed it was part of museum--the very beginning. That part of the museum was one of my favorite parts because of all the behind the scenes, real life tools from the field that were on display. And here I thought James Bond was fiction! ;-) Really, made me a little paranoid but it was fascinating to see all the devices developed over time. There's even an optional air-vent to crawl through--reminded me of the scene from the original Die Hard... "... come out to the coast, we'll have a few laughs..." .
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!