Search

Advice for Spy Museum in Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for Spy Museum in Washington DC

Hi,
We are going to DC this April for 2 nights. My 13 yr old son is very keen to visit the spy museum in DC and do the "operation Spy" experience. He wants me to join him but I am not so sure, as I am pretty claustrphobic. Can someone , who has done this, advice its suitability for people with claustrophobia? Keen to see the museum though.
Thanks
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is nothing about the physical structure of the museum or the Operation Spy thing that would contribute to your claustrophobia. But if crowds do add to your problem, please know this place has become very popular despite the fact that it's one of the few "pay for" museums in DC. Book as early in the day as you can.

Furthermore if your trip is planned at the beginning of April you will be there during the Cherry Blossom Festival which normally guarantees huge crowds at the popular museums & sites. In that case, hope it isn't crowds which cause your anxiety.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM

I've done the Spy Museum and Operation Spy program with my son and, as obxgirl says, there's nothing that should affect your claustrophobia beyond the crowds (which were very large during our April visit a number of years ago). The museum is set up so that you pretty much all have to go one way with no easy way to go back and forth between galleries or floors. So you do run into big bottlenecks around the more popular exhibits.

As obxgirl said, early April will be the Cherry Blossom Festival, but mid-and late April will be Spring Break for schools not only in the area but around the country (and DC is a popular Spring Break destination for families.) Therefore, I would get your tickets ASAP (as some times are already sold out) and, if possible, get them for the first Operation Spy event of the day. (If you get the combo ticket for both Operation Spy and the museum, you don't get to enter the museum exhibits until after Operation Spy is over--about 1 hour.)
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM

The Spy Museum is across the street from the National Portrait Gallery. I might suggest planning to visit both that day if the latter appeals to you, as well.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM

I agree there is nothing that would create a claustropobic situation - except the crowds. I would get there early before they open as people start lining up early. Expect to wait for quite awhile if you get there mid day.

We went the second year it was opened and it was a fun experience. I 'm sure it's changed somewhat over the years but if your son loves spy & detective stuff he will really enjoy it.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I will be there on 5th and 6th April.I am not worried about the size of the crowd or the museum itself but the "Operation Spy" experience. I got the impression you might be in small confined spaces. Any info on that angle at all? My son is really keen on it but I am a bit unsure.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM

The smallest space you will encounter on the Operation Spy tour is a large elevator. If you can handle that, you can handle everything on the tour. (The rest of the tour will be in large rooms).
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Would it be possible for the OP to start the tour but bow out if she found she could not handle it, then meet her son at a predetermined time and place in the museum after he completes the tour? He's old enough to do it on his own, I'm assuming, but I do not know the physical layout inside the museum.