Feedback on Fox Rent A Car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to rent a car for a week for my trip to Seattle and Cannon Beach, OR and noticed that costs are considerably higher if I rent at the airport. The cheapest rental I could find was from Fox Rent A Car. I'm unfamiliar with them so wanted to see if anyone's used them before.

Another option is to rent a car in outside of the airport and then drop it off at the airport when I fly home. More logistics to deal with but prices are lower and I could go with a rental company that I'm more familiar with.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We rented from Fox at the Phoenix Airport last year. The line was excruciatingly long and slow, and some people abandoned Fox for Hertz, Avis, etc., which didn't look nearly as busy. But it was Nascar weekend which may have had something to do with the slowness. The mid-size car we were given was in acceptable mechanical condition, but both the interior and exterior weren't very clean. The return process was quick.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Fox was the worst experience I've ever had with car rentals. The story: our early morning flight was cancelled. I called twice within 45 minutes of our cancelled flight to tell Fox of our delay and give them our new arrival time. The first clerk refused to notate our account, saying it wasn't necessary. Not convinced, I called again and was assured by another clerk our car or one even better would be available. We arrived that evening and went to pick up the car. The very rude clerk, Beatriz, did just about everything she could to make our experience awful. In short, our car was gone and only a car two sizes down or an SUV were available. They claimed I did not call to tell them of the flight change. Beatriz was argumentative and disbelieving. I was told I could take the economy car at my booked intermediate rateI or pay $200 more. (Although interestingly enough, the rate was $60 less when my husband was quoted it ten minutes earlier.) I called Fox's customer service number, where the clerk told me they should give me the SUV at my current rate. He spoke to Beatriz, who argued with him, still refusing to honor the words Fox told me earlier that day. Because it was late and I was tired, I gave in. Several calls the next day yielded nothing except one shocked Fox employee who couldn't believe how we were treated. Unfortunately, no one cared enough to lower our rate to the class of car we received, nor did they offer any other suggestions. Bottom line: do NOT rent from Fox. Their employees lie and they do not honor their agreements. Counter staff is rude and not helpful. This was one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. If I had the choice between Fox and my feet, I'd rather
walk.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Megkcmo didn't say which Fox location she used. My experience with Fox is not very good. I had an economy car reserved at Las Vegas (mid afternoon) got there and they had rented out the last economy car so we got a Jeep CJ at the same price. One of the tires had low air pressure which I discovered 200 miles down the road.
Another rental with Fox from SLC we got the car we wanted first thing in the morning. The rental agreement said full tank. The tank was just over half and one of the tires was at 90psi.
Try putting in a bid on Priceline. The last car I rented in LV started on Christmas Day. I got the bid at $14/day.
The car rental was with Alamo/National.
I would never rent from Fox to save less than $10 per day.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know anything about Fox. But I do know people frequently rent from the major companies in downtown and return to the airport, which saves money.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Rented from Fox in SLC this past March. We did the prepay for gas because gas prices were soaring. After a week our per gallon price was about .35 less than the local rate and we returned the vehicle on fumes. Very pleaseed with the vehicle and rental experience. I too had never heard of them before but they had the best rates available. They appear to be a west coast company and I plan on using them in Seattle next year.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Fox Rent A Car.... how should I put this and still have my post be worthy of being posted? Fox Rent A Car should not be in operation! The experience my family had from the time we boarded the Fox shuttle van at the Orlando Airport and arrived (8:00 pm) at the Fox Rent A Car counter was horrible. We waited in line for 2 1/2 hours at the Orlando Fox Car Rental counter, listening to complaining, arguing and yelling from the customers who were being waited on in front of us. Complete chaos is a great description. Finally, 2 1/2 hours later (10:30 pm) we were standing in front of the Fox Car Representative. The office was filthy as well as the counter. Even though our online reservation said that we would be charged $227.66 at the time of the rental ... the Fox Rep informed us that we were being charged $377.56. The Fox Rep said it was a security deposit and would be refunded when the car was returned (3 weeks after ... good grief). None the less, the online reservation did not indicated in any way that we would have to pay more than $150.00 over the online reservation. WAIT ... WAIT ... there is more.
Just noted a charge on my credit card bill today (11/11/13) that we are being charged for Rent A Car Tolls. What is this??? Sometime between July 2011 and our last Florida trip in 2009, the Florida State Turnpike Authority removed the toll booths that allow drivers to pay cash for tolls along the southernmost leg of the highway and replaced them with automated cameras. When cars drive past, the camera records the license plate number and drivers who don't have a SunPass sensor are billed for the toll, plus an administrative fee. Our toll and administrative fees came to $15.75 - had no clue. Why did Fox Rent A Car not inform of us of this and how can they legally give the State of Florida my credit card information without my knowledge? Is this Legal???
Never ever, ever will Fox Rent A Car be a service or recommendation from me or my family. I would rather have paid more for a company that is honest and forthright will all fees, information, etc. I guess it goes to prove ... "You get what you pay for!"
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM

I had no trouble with Fox in Phoenix.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are talking about landing at PDX, DO NOT rent from Fox.
Right outside baggage claim, get on the red line Trimet train to downtown Portland. Rent your car downtown and then head for Cannon Beach if is early enough and the weather is good.
Otherwise, just spend the night in Portland.
I rented enough times with Fox to know that I don't want to rent with them again - anywhere.
The last time I rented in Las Vegas I got a great deal using Priceline with National. The time before in Las Vegas I went to Fox with my reservation and they didn't have the economy car so they gave me a ragtop Jeep that had less than 25psi in 2 tires. It was dangerous and loud on the interstate.
Another Fox car I rented (in SLC) had 90psi in one tire and about 5/8 of a tank of gas even though the rental agreement said it was full.