Search

February Rain?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
February Rain?

I'm going to Hawaii from approximately Feb 5th through Feb 19th. I'm curious about Kauai but I have heard it can rain and rain non-stop at that time of year. Is that the case? I wouldn't mind gentle warm showers followed by sun, or even a day of rain- followed by sun, but non-stop, no way. Should I put Kauai out of my mind and head for the BI or is it all exagerated? I'll take Kal's resposnes with a grain of salt.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Stay in the Poipu area and you should have no problem. What rain there is will be at night followed by lots of sun. But plan on spending some time up north...even in the rain, it is paradise on Earth.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 02:05 PM

We spent 3 weeks in Kauai this year and 2 weeks last year during the exact time you're going. (We are also going for 2 weeks Feb 11 - 25 in 2006)

In 2004, we had 2 days of rain, where it didn't let up until about 10 pm the second night, which had us running around in the grass barefoot thanking the stars for the clear weather. We were feeling pretty sorry for ourselves those days, but it sure made us appreciate the rest of the sun-filled vacation.

This past year, there were a couple of 10 minute showers during the entire three weeks and that was it!

We stayed in the Poipu area, so I can't speak for the north because we only went up there when we'd checked out the weather forecast.

Even that solid 2 days in 2004 didn't stop us from going back, and I'm counting down the days till February.....
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 09:07 PM

Yes, count on it...lots of rain, bugs, and take jackets and sweaters...and bug spray.I was there 2 years ago in March and wished I stayed in So. Cal!Or went to Wailea, Maui, but then December to May you can count on rain anywhere in Hawaii, especially Kauai and the East (windward)
sides.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

For a number of reasons I'll be going to the Big Island. But don't worry I'll get to Kauai eventually. I know full well the reports of rain and bugs are only an attempt to keep the island less crowded with tourists.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM

Kauai is the rainiest location on Earth. That is not an opinion, that is a fact.

Anyhoot, resident's say that its not relentless - you do get patches of sun, And, a lot depends on what side of the rock your on. On islands with mountains, one side tends to be sunny (leeward) the other, cloudy (windward).
However, I had some Oslo friends visiting me, they went to Kauai for a week - returned all pissy cuz it rained "non stop" then entire week.

Bug spray? Forget it. However, there are centipedes that you don't have here on the mainland. If they bit you, it hurts your bone. You're arm, leg can swell up to the size of a barrell - some even die from a bite. You will defi be scared for life. They leave a huge scar too for some reason.

There's a certain type of plant prolific in Kauai that centipedes love to live on. Dunno what it is but, I'd find out once there.

Another tip - Kauai is a big shark feeding/mating ground. Sharks think we taste nasty but - hey, I needed that leg you just bit off and spat out!

I just moved from 5 yrs of Waikiki. All of the Hawaiian islands are a cultural vacuum. Everybody that LIVES there agrees: There's nothing to do.

UNLESS you're super sporty. Then, there's lots to do. Great golfing, surfing, deep sea fishing, Level 3,4, & 5 hikes, polo is big in O'ahu (Windward side), wild pig hunting, sky diving, scuba (but, keep in mind that ALL of Hawaii is riddled with sharks - just ask any fisherman.)

If you surf, O'ahu's North Shore has the biggest waves in the world. Again, that's a fact. They can be 40, 50+ ft high.

Maui's the hot spot for windsurfing. Its cooler than O'ahu (about 75F). Its very, very "sleepy" like the Big Island. Most people like Maui the best. The people there are very warm, friendly and most-likely, a famous movie star. LOL. Its pricey though - worse than O'ahu.

The Big Island offers yr.-round snowboarding.

In Molakai, people fish, breed and smoke poco lolo. There's like 5 roads on the whole island.

Lanakai? Yawn...

So B.I. is it? 2 very different towns to visit: Hilo and Kona. Hilo is more like (and even sleepier) Waikiki. Sunny, tourists. Kona (other side of the rock) is where all the hipsters live. Kona is where the 3rd best coffee in the world comes from.

Lots of locals try to avoid the sun as best they can - which rules out sporty stuff. We all have sun-related war stories, we're all permanently tatooed with a tan. Some have "haolie rot" (skin spots from too much sun). I have a touch of sun-related glaucoma in one eye...

Ya, great place to visit for a very, very short period of time. Defi stick with the tourists.

When you fly in/out of O'ahu, spend an afternoon to get blitzed, soaked and sunburned on a Waikiki catamoran Booze Cruise. Just walk along the beach, they're everywhere. $20 and the booze is all you can down. Its a rip-roarin', silly good time w/ tourists.