Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai weather for Thanksgiving week? Things to do in the rain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
walera

I will be in Kauai (on Poipu at the Kiahuna) next week for Thanksgiving, and I see from the internet weather reports that it's supposed to rain all week. Question for folks familiar with Kauai weather patterns: Is your rain typically an all-day affair, and does it make it too cold/unpleasant to be on the beach/swim, or is there a good chance that we might STILL be able to do some beach activities? I was planning for a lie-on-the-beach kind of vacation, so I'm thinking I may have to re-think things a bit. Any suggestions for good rainy day activities on Kauai?

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
Joe

Even when it rains, it is usually off & on. Temps. are still in the 80's and water temps. in the high 70's, so you can still swim and be outside. Don't worry about the weather reports, there is a lot of natural beauty to explore rain or shine! We're going to stay at Kiahuna in Jan. at the back bldgs. (40's) by the construction @ $120. pr. ni. I'd appreciate your comments on the condition of interior of those units and noise level from construction. We stayed at the Hyatt last year for $250. ni. but this year they want $320. ni.; I don't want to pay that much. Last Jan. we stayed for a week in Kauai and had 3 sunny days, 3 cloudy days, and 2 off & on rainy days. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:04 PM
tt

topping

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Bonnie

we just returned from Hawaii, with 4 days on kauai. As to the weather in Kauai: clouds, rain, clouds, rain. But it was always 75, and warm enough to stay at the pool or beach. The Hyatt was fantastic, but the poolside drink service closed up in the rain. We did discover that it is almost always sunny at Polihale beach (a 15 minute drive from Poipu) if you just have to get to the sunshine. We still did the day trips to Hanalei bay, hiked the Kalalau trail, and went to Kipu Falls, despite the rain and clouds. The only thing I don't recommend is the Napali coast boat tour. The seas were so rough, we hardly got to a third of it.
Aloha!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:58 PM
ttt

top it off

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:18 PM
Pam

It depends on how hard it is raining..on some parts of Kauai it rains..then it stops. But..try the Kauai Museum in Lihue. It has an interesting permanent exhibit on the physical and cultural history of the island. Check out Haemura's Siamen for lunch or dinner in downtown Lihue(Rice and Kress Streets)..it's a joint but a good one and perfect for a rainy day. The Botanical Gardens can actually be done depending on how heavy the rain...especially the one at the North end of the island..it becomes all the more surreal in the rain.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:21 PM
Pam

If you have VCR in your room or house.got to a video store and rent "Hawaii's Last Queen". It's a PBS (American Playhouse) show about 1 hour in length. It will bring you closer to the history of the islands.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:51 AM
SG

You can usually find a sunny spot. Or go to the Hyatt spa or shopping.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 02:21 PM
nottoworry

weather.com shows sunny weather for Thanksgiving week in Kauai. Not sure where you got the rainy report.