Favorite town on Oregon coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your favorite town on Oregon coast? Looking for small quiet town with ocean view, a couple good restaurants and decent beach.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM

*kim* can probably help you with that.
This will top your post for you
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:18 PM

I'll give it a try...Check out Yachats, on the south central coast. It's a quiet favorite of people in Portland.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Cannon Beach is a popular favorite. It's small and deliberately appears non-commercial - no McDonalds or other chain restaurants in town. Quite a contrast from Seaside, a town just to the north, which is full of chain restaurants and cheezy beach attractions. Cannon Beach does have a great beach and a dramatic view including Haystack Rock. The town is also close to Portland and easy to get to.

I happen to like Newport myself though it is one of the larger towns on the coast. It has the Oregon Coast Aquarium, the Yaquina Head natural area (with a lighthouse), a bayfront, a nice beach, and the gorgeous Yaquina Beay bridge. There are decent restaurants in town, though it is a very commercialized place, too.

Andrew
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:17 AM
syd

Another vote for Newport. I think the location is great to explore other natural areas up and down the coast. If you like B&B's, the Tyee Lodge north of town, on the coast, is lovely. We had a room with a nice ocean view and it was reasonably priced. Good restaurants in Newport. We visited in October. The town didn't feel large or commercialized to me.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM

For small and quiet, I prefer Manzanita, its only drawback being the limited ocean view accommodations. Gearhart is smaller and yet more quiet, also with limited ocean views, and maybe only one "good" (what do you mean by that?) restaurant. But it's close to Seaside, which has several more options.

Honestly though, you could park yourself in a place like the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach, and it will feel as quiet as you want. What time of year are you going?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM

another vote for Yachats - quaint and quiet.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:06 AM

HI John, were you wanting suggestions for the Southern, Central or North Coast? I have my favorites in each area. ***kim***
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

KIM
Looking at arriving late July early August and have no preference as to where on the coast though Cannon Beach looks great.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Hi again, John! That is a wonderful time to visit the coast. We've traveled the entire coast from Brookings to Astoria many times!

The entire coast is gorgeous but my favorite area is north of Tillamook around the Cannon Beach/Seaside/Astoria area. Actually, all of the towns on the Oregon Coast are small and quiet compared to the CA coast with places such as Santa Barbara, Monterey, etc.

Cannon Beach would be an excellent choice. The Stephanie Inn is beautiful, I took a peek in there a few weeks ago. It is right on the ocean and I've heard excellent things about their restaurant there which I will be trying in March.

Seaside is only ten minutes away, so you could spend some time there, then head over to the Astoria area. Go to the Maritime Museum, Fort Clatsop, ride the riverfront trolley, wine taste, go to their great spa there, The Columbia River Day Spa in the gorgeous old Bank building. (Ask for Jaymie, she's great!)

In the other direction from Cannon Beach, you could visit Manzanita which is very small and quiet. If you're considering Manzanita for your stay, I would suggest the Inn at Manzanita. I hope you have a wonderful trip! ***kim***
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:55 AM

John, www.stephanieinn.com is the website. Enjoy! ***kim***
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kim. Will make that decision soon.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM

just understand that kimamom has not stayed in either of the places she's recommended, and be aware that the Inn at Manzanita is not on the beach.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...w=1&name=&qty=
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Let us know what you decide on! If you do stay in Cannon Beach, Cafe Mango is fairly good. I had a really nice halibut entree there and it was prepared decently.

Astoria has some really good places to dine. The Cannery Cafe is right on the river and serves excellent crab melts. The Ship Inn in Astoria has wonderful fish and chips and Fulio's can't be beat for Italian food. Oh, so good!

You might want to consider going to Nahalem to the Nahalem River Inn one night for a nice dinner. It has received good reviews on Chowhound from posters I trust and I know they have recently remodeled. We'll be trying it soon.

If you feel adventurous, go over the bridge to the WA coast. In Chinook is the Sanctuary which serves wonderful Swedish meatballs and salmon that is so fresh and yummy. (The owner actually told me he had just caught it that morning.) Then there is the 42nd Street Cafe in Seaview which is excellent, always a short wait. I would also recommend The Shoalwater at the Shelburne Inn for fine dining.

The north coast has a lot more really good dining options than other parts of the coast, IMO. We were on the coast the majority of the summer for business and dined out 23 nights in a row, so I was able to try LOTS of wonderful places in the area. Happy planning to you! ***kim***
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Cannon Beach is a beautiful little town, all of the homes and businesses along the streets have those wonderful flower baskets hanging from the windows. We loved JP's restaurant, and check out horseback riding on the beach.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM

huggylyn, the stables in Cannon are the Sea Ranch Stables, open from late May until Labor Day. I have flyers at our beach cottage for the renters. We tried to book a ride one day last summer and the stables were closed, so it's best to call before you get your heart set on a ride! ***kim***
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM

My favorite place anywhere on the Oregon coast is Cannon Beach - appears others have recommended it as well. For further south we also like Pacific City (small, but a good little brewery/pub restaurant). We personally enjoy Lincoln City (about 20 minutes north of Newport), but some folks don't care for that area - not exactly sure why. For a quick stop Depoe Bay is nice - quaint little shops and good ocean views. I also would give a nod to Yachats - just south of Newport. Based on what you're looking for....for a northern coast town I'd choose Cannon, for a central coast town I'd choose Yachats, for a southern coast town I'd choose Bandon. Have fun!

Tracey
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Hi Tracy, a couple members of our family will be going to the coast in a few days. They will be going down the coast a bit from where we stay to Tillamook and I've recommended that they stop at the Pelican Brew Pub in Pacific City for lunch! (That is probably the place you are referring to.)

My favorite area of the coast is the entire area from Cannon Beach to Astoria. For the central part I would have to go with Newport. There's more to do there but Yachats is very pretty. Our old friend had a small beach house there for many years that he loved.

Bandon is my favorite southern coastal town. Very scenic and pretty. ***kim***
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I'd vote for staying away from the Astoria area. Too populated for me.

Another vote for Yachats. Try the SeeVue (SeaVue?) Motel. Great rates and terrific views.

From Yachats southward, there are isolated small hotels and motels right along the shore.

Seconded by Bandon. But again, there are housing developments right along part of the beautiful bluff, for heaven's sakes!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Astoria isn't overpopulated at all. It's a small town of about 10,000 people. www.oldoregon.com for you to see more of this beautiful place located right on the gorgeous Columbia River. I haven't suggested Astoria since the OP wanted a coastal town with an ocean view. Astoria is about a short ten minute drive to many beautiful beaches, tho.

Sunset Beach is a favorite of ours and Fort Stevens State Park is a very short drive from Astoria. Lots to see there with Coffenbury Lake and the wreck of the Peter Iredale. ***kim***