Reload this Page >

Favorite Hamburger Joint

Search

Favorite Hamburger Joint

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Tom

Favorite Hamburger Joint

I am interested in local hamburger joints around the country - no chains, please. What makes it special? Obviously, the hamburgers have to be good, but what makes them mouth watering (ingredients, toppings, preparation…)? Is there something about the restaurant itself that makes it a fun place to go (location, décor, atmosphere, staff…)?

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Paul

Hey Tom,

It's gotta' be Cheeburger*Cheeburger in Naples, FL. There are several of these around Florida, but there is nothing like being on 5th Ave., a couple of blocks from the beach, people watching, palm trees and flowers all around, sunny blue skies... ahhhh

I can get a Cheeseburger in Michigan (if I wanted one), but for real living, Naples gets my vote.

Paul

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:24 PM
carol

Where I live, this is not an exotic place, but in Rochester NY we have without a doubt the best hamburger place in the world. The place Don&Bob's Orginal has been in business for over 50 years. It is located across the street from beautiful Lake Ontario near Irondiquoit Bay. It is not a chain, but probably the best burgers that we have ever had. They are also known for their chocolate almond custard ice cream. The ice cream is the best I have ever had too.

We also have a legendary place called Nick Tahoes, their hambergers are great, but they specialize in what they call the garbage plate. This consists of hamburger, hot dogs, beans,macaroni salad and all mixed with a special sauce. Nicks is a place where you go after and socialize after the bars close.

Rochester, believe it or not, has some fine resturants. We have much more than snow and cold yucky weather.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:15 PM
KenCT

What about Louis Lunch in New Haven? In the same family since 1900, claims to have "invented" the concept of putting chopped beef between two slices of toast - never a bun. Flame broiled on cast iron grills, served with cheese, onion, and tomato. There's much more to the story, involving historic preservation, urban renewal and a strict "no ketchup" policy. But you have to experience it to believe it.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:51 PM
George

Cheeseburger in Paradise...Front street Lahaina, Maui. Great burgers, drinks, staff seems to enjoy their job. Over looking the ocean. Go for dinner and enjoy the sunset while you listen to the live music. Will never forget the first time we were there. Had a guy in a two man kayak paddle past, with one of those, well,,,one of those "adult"
blow up female dolls in the front seat.
He seemed to be enjoying himself.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:34 PM
dan woodlief

My favorite is in Madison, WI, where I lived for more than seven years until fairly recently. It is called Dotty Dumpling's Dowry and is right off State Street, the atmospheric strip (no traffic except buses and bikes) leading from the University to the state capitol building. It is decorated with all kinds of stuff - old university items, boats, huge model planes, stuffed animals, etc. Sometimes it has live music, and you never know what CD will be playing when you walk in. It could be anything from Frank Sinatra to disco. The burgers were thick and between 1/4 and 1/2 a pound. The only special topping I remember is marinated peppers, but there were many choices. There were lots of beers on tap (this is Wisconsin you know), the sandwiches came with huge baskets of fries, and you could also get very good fish sandwiches and chili. It won lots of awards in the city and the Midwest. My wife and I went often, and it was a good place to meet with other students. Really though, I saw more families than students most of the time. Madison had great food for a place its size, but this was where we chose to eat with friends on our last night before moving back to NC.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Paul Rabe

Dirty's KumBak Place in Austin TX. On "The Drag." The place looks like it should be closed by the health department, but the decades of grease on the grill have made the burgers here taste all the better.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 07:08 PM
e

The Hamburger Inn in Portsmouth, Ohio. It's been there since the 1930's. They uses a special lard recipe to fry their burgers(small patties of ground round). The old-timers order them "dipped"(they dip the bun in the special grease). Not good for the arteries but a fantastic unique taste that is not to be missed if you are anywhere near Southern Ohio.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Meg

I have to add Port of Call and Bombay Club in New Orleans. Port of Call is a joint - dark, old - with a decaying nautical mofit. The burger is great - served with grated cheese on top and always accompanied by a baked potato. Just delicious. I like Bombay's burger, but in a different way. Bombay is a martini bar in the Prince Conti Hotel. There's usually a piano player and lounge singer. I really enjoyed having a delicious burger in a piano loung with a martini. The burgers are only offered there on a late night week-end menu. For everyday burgers, I enjoy The Clover Grill on the corner of Dumaine and Bourbon. It's a traditional American diner with an entertaining gay staff. The burgers are cooked under a hub cap. I don't think their burger tops Port of Call or Bombay's, but it's just a fun, campy place to go.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 08:40 PM
xxx

Are we writing another magazine article for someone?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Tom

"Are we writing another magazine article for someone?"

Nope. My work as a SW Consultant keeps me on the road 90% of the year. I get tired of eating at chain restaurants and wanted to find out about some good local places. I don't care for upscale restaurants and find it interesting how the various regions of the country put their own spin on something as simple as a hamburger. I realize I won't get a chance to visit most of the places listed, but if I happen to visit a couple and they turn out to be as good as described, it will have been worth the effort.

I'm relatively new to this site and apologize if I broke any rules.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Rachel

Grover's in Williamsville, NY (a suburb of Buffalo). Huge, juicy burgers, great fries. We usually split the burgers although our teenage and pre-teen sons feel very accomplished if they can eat a whole one themselves. The place doesn't look like much from the outside (or the inside really)-it has a gin mill look to it. It also has terrific chicken wings (but then, in the buffalo area, you better have good wings). The staff varies. some get by simply by their rudeness (you don't mind setting your own table do you), others are very nice. Good bartenders, good jukebox, and if you're from the area, there's always someone you know there. They also have a decent fish fry on Friday nights.

Surprisingly, the best chain burger I've ever had is from Garfields.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:18 AM
kal

A big thumbs up to Meg and Port o' Call in NOLA!!! Burger, baked tater with the works and a good ol' monsoon to wash it down! All that and "a decaying nautical mofit."...I like it!

The Sacramento, Ca. institution is Tiny's Burgers.

On Kauai, Bubba's (I know it's a chain, but a small Hawaiian chain)....in fact in 10 days I will be enjoying a Triple Bubba w/ cheese and a s/o of chili cheese fries w/ onions while sitting in Hanalei town watching the traffic go by.

And while on Kauai, Ono's is very "ono".
Take a lot of napkins. Sit outside and watch the peacocks and chickens as you sit near "King Kong".

Kauai's Burger Shack near the Marriott is good, too. Sit upstairs and you get a nice little view of Kalapaki Bay.

Mahalo,
Kal

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:23 AM
J T Kirk

In Atlanta, check out the Houston's for a GREAT hickory bacon buger. Yummy. Houston's is a little upscale, though.
To go slummin', go to Carey's in Atlanta (acutally in Smyrna). Great burger, great beer, tough people.
Also, if you're ever in Madrid, NM (about 45 miles south of Santa Fe), check out Mine Shaft Tavern. Super blue cheese burger. Very, very electic place, with all types of people. but fun!

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:35 AM
thereuare

While not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, White Manna in Hackensack, NJ is an instition and serves White Castle sized burgers (don't worry, the quality is better than WC's). They only have a horseshoe type counter with a grill at the bend of the horseshoe, so you can watch 'em as they cook 'em.

They start with a small ball of ground beef, and then push onions into while they cook. Place gets very crowded, but the grill man manages to (somehow) keep everyone's order in check.

Here's a picture of the nostalgic place:
http://fat-guy.com/images/manna.jpg

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Bob

Hands down, the best is CHAR-GRILL in Raleigh, NC. You might as well go to the original on Hillsbourgh Street between downtown and NC State University. There is no drive-through or dining area outside of a couple of pic-nik tables. Walk=up to the glass,take an order sheet and "putt-putt pencil" and fill out the long narrow order form and put your name on. Hamburger Steak Jr with Fries will do just fine. Wait until they call your name, get the bag---and either go back to your home, car or parking lot and enjoy the best hamburger there is. You may run into the Governor, an NBA star visting his college, a student or just a regular worker. It is open until late. I know people who drive through Raleigh just to eat here---and it looks like a 1950s restaurant because that is when it was built. There are also 2-3 other locations now. CHAR-GRILL http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile?id=6179181

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:57 AM
lisa

The all-time best are at Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor, Michigan!! A double with cheddar cheese & onions is about as good as life gets. You tell them exactly how you want it and they make it right there in front of you.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Lori

All American Drive In, Massapequa, NY. They still make all the burgers and fries by hand right there (no frozen pattys or fries here). The place is a goldmine

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 07:06 AM
michele

Casell's in L.A...towards downtown on Sixth and New Hampshire..been there for years..cafeteria style service--grind their own prime beef daily, homemade mayo and a distinctly spicy potato salad ( horseradish ? dry mustard?), hamburgers that are hamburgers, not meatball thick, homemade lemonade. Lunch only.Now, I'm hungry.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 07:57 AM
kcd

In Boston, the best burger has to be at Tim's Taven in the South End. It is a tiny little dive, and you'll most likely be surrounded by construction workers, but the burger is the best! It's big, juicy, and just plain good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -