fauna in Hawaii

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:00 AM
Michelle

fauna in Hawaii

Are there any great places to see wildlife in Oahu, Hawaii (BI), or Lanai?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:51 AM
Dawn Ct

I don't think that there are any animals that are truly native in Hawaii except the nehneh bird (spelling?) Most of the animals that are there had to be brought to Hawaii. They have a serious wild boar problem. Domesticated pigs were originally brought to the island with the intent that they are self sufficient, can be hunted easily and would provide food. These pigs are now ferral pigs with long nasty tusks. They polute the fresh water ponds and streams with their droppings, kill dogs, etc. There is actually a bounty on them and they are often served at lauaus. Hawaii is probably more noted for what they DON'T have. They don't have rabies nor do they have poisonous snakes.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:52 AM
Dawn Ct

I don't think that there are any animals that are truly native in Hawaii except the nehneh bird (spelling?) Most of the animals that are there had to be brought to Hawaii. They have a serious wild boar problem. Domesticated pigs were originally brought to the island with the intent that they are self sufficient, can be hunted easily and would provide food. These pigs are now ferral pigs with long nasty tusks. They polute the fresh water ponds and streams with their droppings, kill dogs, etc. There is actually a bounty on them and they are often served at lauaus. Hawaii is probably more noted for what they DON'T have. They don't have rabies nor do they have poisonous snakes. On the Big Island, and I assume elsewhere, there is a massive program, particularly in VNP to reclaim the forrest and restore it to its original condition. This means planting the original native flora, getting rid of the pigs, foreign plant species, etc.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:08 AM
gail

We went on a Rainforest Hike with Mitch Berger. It was pay as you can system. www.hawaiirainforest.org. (808) 944-2758.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:58 PM
scigirl

The only native mammals on Hawaii are the monk seal and a bat. There are loads of good places to hike on all three islands. A google search for "___ (insert island name) hiking" will turn up loads on information. You can also check with the state parks department to get hiking maps, etc. There are lots of interesting birds to spot on all the islands - and they are native. I've only seen wild pigs once hiking around on a Oahu. They were babies and cute - but I steered clear because I figured Momma was around near-by. My understanding is that the wild pigs will leave you alone as long as they are not cornered or harrassed. Other wildlife you might encounter includes feral chickens and mongooses (mongeese?). Of course, if you snorkel or scuba you can see other native animals including loads of tropical fish and sea turtles.