Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii

Search

Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii

Hi guys, my name is Cassandra, im about to turn 20. Im travelling hawaii solo for 3 months!
Super excited, but just as nervous.
Please, im asking for work/travel hints and tip, and also if anyone can recommend places that maybe arent so safe to go to alone.

Should i be aware of anything?
This is my first trip out of Australia, not to mention ALONE!

WHOOHOO, thanks in advance
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 07:44 PM

Hawaii has one of our country's highest crime rates for petty crimes like pickpocketing and purse snatching, and one of the lowest rates for violent crimes like murder and sexual assault. Or in other words I'd caution you more about petty crimes than serious ones. I can't think of anywhere in Hawaii that I would recommend against for a single female traveler. The worst area that comes to mind is Puna District on the Big Island, which is poor and relatively hostile to tourists, but even that doesn't represent a serious threat as long as one respects the local residents.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 09:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Please, im asking for work/travel hints and tip,
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 08:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Which islands are you going to? How long on each one?
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Will you have a car? If not, you'll need to stick to the cities/islands that offer good public transportation. You'll need to plan around that.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 12:26 PM

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com, a well respected wholesaler will rent to 21-24 year olds for an extra $25 per day, no one under 21. So car rental being out, the only island that is realistic to stay on is Oahu, as public transport on the other islands is not designed to transport tourists but rather locals.
Don't count on working either, many people work 2 jobs to make ends meet, you need the proper visa to work. You can try to work under the table, but could well get reported by a local.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 12:57 PM

I agree that Oahu, and in Honolulu/Waikiki would be the most practical choice for a place to live for a single young woman hoping to stay for 3 months.

But I also agree with the posts here it is not likely you will be able to legally find employment.

Do you have enough money to support yourself for 3 months without additional income. Hawaii is *not* cheap!
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

I've saved enough money to stay 3 months comfortably and by work, i mean companies like 'work away' and 'help stay' where you get free accommodation in exchange for helping out doing various tasks for a certain amount of time each day

As for the islands, I'm arriving in Oahu and planning on staying there as long as I can. I'm starting off in back packers and hoping to do volunteer work and work with companies like work away.

As for all the other comments, i appreciate them, keep them coming, the more i know the better.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

IF, I was to go to any other island, what do people recommend, public transport wise, and also suitable for a solo female travler
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 07:56 AM

I really recommend you stay on Oahu your 3 months, as far as where you actually live.

Maybe you can 'visit' some of the other islands for a week or whatever. But none have the public transportation system like Oahu does. Probably Maui would be the next easiest. Check out Lahaina.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 01:02 PM

Public transport on the other islands is designed to take locals where they want and need to go, not where a tourist would want to go.
For example on Kauai, there is one bus that runs from Kekaha (far west shore) to Lihue and another bus that runs from Lihue to Hanalei. The bus does NOT go to Waimea Canyon nor does it go north of Hanalei, so no way to visit Ke'e and Tunnels beaches or hike the first two miles of the Kalalau Trail. You will make stops at places like Lihue Community Center, Wilcox Memorial Hospital, etc. With no car forget it.
Also know food and lodging is considered compensation the same as money and puts you in violation of your Visa Waiver. Suggest strongly you rethink this. WOOOF also violates VWP.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Jamie, id love you to explain further, because i dont want to violate anything.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

I understand, I re-read it. Thank you.