Father of Dutch teen arrested in Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Father of Dutch teen arrested in Aruba

AP report 12 minutes ago on cnn.com

Very strange twist -
She said the Van Der Sloots invited her into their home when she was handing out prayer cards in their neighborhood.

I hope all questions are answered soon.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM

Starrsville, who do you mean by "she"? Natalee?

My prayers are with Natalee Holloway and her family.

Better answer quick, since Fodor's has deleted or frozen every thread related to Natalee's disappearance on the Caribbean board. We asked editor Doug Stallings (who replies there occasionally) and he denied that they're even freezing the threads...
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:19 PM

Hi starrsville, very strange indeed. I cannot imagine what her family is growing through. Wonder if the elder VanDer Sloot helped his son get rid of her body. What a nightmare.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:23 PM

Joan, go onto cnn.com and the full story is right there.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM

Yes, I did just that ...it's the mom of Natalee that was invited into the home of the Van Der Sloots.

Here's another weird coincidence: In the first ten days, the police could get nothing out of the three boys or the two security guards they had in custody. Eventually they let the guards out - and guess what - one of the boys (in the next cell) had spilled his guts to one of the security guards. Now keep following here: the elder Van Der Sloot was prohibited from visiting his son in jail, the implication being that they were in cahoots and they would concot something if together. Now they arrest the old man - where do you think they put him? Probably in the jail cell next to his son - gee everybody talks in jail, but the Aruban police can't get anything out of these three. No wonder Mrs. Holloway is so frustrated.

Here's the guard's story about what was told to him in jail:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ...ohn/index.html
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:33 PM

From the "news junkie"...as quickly as I can type....

Joran's father, the judge, has been arrested.

Joran's mother has been all over the cable channels since yesterday. No wonder she's tearful in all interviews.

She's not just worried about her son, but her husband as well.

IMHO she knows more than she's saying, and it's high time for her to think about Natalee's parents.

This is such a tragedy !

Marion

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM

You don't often see a mother of a suspect on a TV. Some strange story!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:56 PM

Have I inferred correctly that the missing girl's mother, having arrived in the country where her daughter mysteriously disappeared, is going door-to-door handing out cards to complete strangers and one of them turned out to be the father of one of the people being held in jail on this case, and he invited her into his house???!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:11 PM

Ys, you heard read correctly.
Natalees mother has been going door to door , trying to find her daughter.
She goes door to door, meets the people, gives them photos of her daughter and prayer cards.
(I guess if you are desperate to find your child, you will do anything )
The fact that Greta Van Sustern and a camera crew with with her might have helped her progress into the Judge/father of the suspects home, doncha think?
I am so sad for the family of this girl.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:11 PM

Yes. I think she was doing anything she could to keep busy. Remember this was when she first arrived, before the son was arrested.

Right now, MSNBC is interviewing the Van Der Sloot mother (she's distraught to say the least). She's saying it's "no longer about Natalee" but more about the pressure from the press and the US. Also, she admitted that her son changed his story, as "a 17 year old will do to cover up coming home at 2 AM on a school night". Yeah, or a murder.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM

This case is close to home for me since Aruba is one of our sister islands, even though it has separate status now and is no longer under our local government. It's rather frustrating how the case is being handled because of the Dutch law.

I just hope that Natalee's parents can be given some closure whatever the outcome is and that they find out what happened. I can't imagine the pain of going thru life never knowing if your child is alive or not, or whether they might be "out there somewhere."
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:53 PM

I heard on MSNBC that arresting someone under Dutch law does not mean the same thing as arresting someone in the US. Apparently it allows questioning for a certain number of hours that couldn't otherwise be done. I gather it does not necessarily mean that the father is suspected of having participated in the murder (but they obviously want to find out what he knows).

I don't think we can write off the Dutch justice system or the Aruban authorities at this point in time. Let's wait and see if they are able to wring the truth out of these people. This has to be a nightmare for Natalee's family and friends.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:01 PM

You're right, Orcas. Actually, under Dutch law you can be detained for up to 116 days without being offically charged with a crime. So, who really knows why each person is being detained in this case. It could be complex reasons or very simple ones.