Search

Fastest/Cheapest ways to Nantucket from Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:44 AM
JVS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fastest/Cheapest ways to Nantucket from Manhattan

For the month of September. Will consider flying/trains/ferry, etc. Estimated dollar amounts appreciated.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:07 AM

Flying is obviously the fastest way. Do a Google search ("Flying to Nantucket") and you'll get all your answers.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:21 AM

According to a quick Travelocity search, flying from La Guardia (US Air only non-stop-other airlines require plane change in Boston)non stop in Sept., the fare is $350. It takes 1 hr 10-30 mins.Much cheaper flights from Phil. ($94).

I think there's a train to Wood's Hole where you'd get taxi to ferry.

If you're not staying in town, you may want a car on the island. (If you are staying in town, would need car to egt to the beach.) Driving, as I recall, about 5 hrs. Expensive to take car on ferry & you must book way in advance for reservation.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:26 AM

Wait, $94 ROUNDTRIP from Philly? That seems incredibly low. I think $350 from NY is a relatively low rate, it's usually higher than that.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:23 AM

Flew to Nantucket from NYC a few years ago on a very small airline (Colgan?) which had regular departures from both Laguardia and Newark.

You can also take the bus from NYC to Providence, RI, connect there to a bus to Wood's Hole, and then take a ferry. Long ferry ride from there (2-3 hours?). Ferries from there also good to Martha's Vineyard, a much shorter trip. (I did this to the Vineyard.)

Sorry--don't remember the costs and it was enough years ago that prices would be misleading.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:15 AM

You didn't say if you have a car. On the cheap, I would drive to Orient Point, take the ferry to New London (about $60 with a car - passengers extra) then drive from New London to either New Bedford or Woods Hole to catch a ferry to the island. This is definitely not a fast trip but you would have some great scenery.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:33 AM

JVS,
We've been over this several times. There is no such thing as fastest and cheapest. That being said - flying is the only way to go. All the other means of transportation take too much time and will end up costing almost as much as flying. Also I would discourage having a car on the island unless you absolutely had to.
JoeG
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Joe,

I agree flying "is the way to go" but it sure is expensive if there's a family involved. Since JVS is going in September, not height of the season, having a car could be convenient, especially for a group of people.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Okay, let me clear up some stuff.

1. The ferry to Nantucket is best taken from Hyannis. It's an hour by fast catamaran, two hours by slow car ferry. If you drive and bring your car over (please don't) the ferry ride may cost you a couple hundred bucks.

2. Flying is the best. Cost $200-700 per person, depending upon how and when you book. Colgan air. Lots of flights to and ffrom Laguardia.

3. Easiest, cheapest, rent a car, drop it off at the Barnstable Airport in Hyannis, take the slow ferry over. Total round-trip cost: approx. $150 for two people, not counting taxis on both ends. Add 20 bucks per person for the fast ferry.

4. Another option is to drive or take the train to Providence, take a taxi to TF green airport, fly to Nantucket on cape air. Approx cost: $400 for two people. Not counting taxis.

5. It's an island. So we're hard to get to. Which is why I like it here.

G.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:21 PM

If someone's spending a month on Nantucket, I would think he'd need a car while he was there.

So into the equation I would toss:

1. cost of getting a car there on the car ferry

2. vs total cost of renting a car there and getting there more cheaply as a pedestrian on the ferry

and I guess 3 - question - is it also manageable by bicyle? I am sure it is depending where you are staying in relation to places you want/need to go (beach, food sources).
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:52 AM

Actually, Elizabeth, there's really very little need for a car here, depending upon where you are staying.

The NRTA busses run all around the island and are very well maintained.

There are bike routes to all destinations.

Taxis are very reasonable.

For that one or two days a person might want to drive around the island, there are rentals (Young's is a good place to rent a car--nice people--family owned for three generations)

Most of Nantucket is walkable.

The original poster said they have a condo outside of town, but truth be told, most locations outside of town are within walking distance of town. It's a small place.

Please, folks, leave your cars on the mainland. There are too many here already.

G
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:11 AM

I agree with everything Caffeinated said regarding the car issue. Not needing a car is one of the great pleasures of Nantucket.
JoeG
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Hi,
We visited Nantucket last September for the first time. We wheeled our bikes onto the ferry and it worked out great.
Rent a car only if you really need it.
I'm almost 50 and it never takes longer than an hour to bike anywhere.
Also the "fast" ferry leaves later and honestly does not get into town that much sooner. That was our experience anyway. Heading back w/ our bikes in June--to see the roses!
Pete