Family trip to Key Largo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We, three adults and 2 kids, would like to do a trip to the Florida Keys in mid-April. My son any my granddaughter (aged 14) are certified as scuba divers and would like to do some diving. My other granddaughter (aged 10) and I are happy with snorkeling or, perhaps, swimming with dolphins. My research shows me that Key Largo (for instance, the Marriott Resort) offers a variety of water activities.
I am open to suggestions and ideas. None of us has ever been to the Keys but we have been to St. John and St. Thomas to dive and snorkel. Any ideas on vacations for families in the Florida Keys would be much appreciated/
Thank you.
MH
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.islamoradadivecenter.com/

I no longer dive but Key Largo is not my fav spot. They use to cram people on the boats in any kind of seas. Are you bringing your own equipment? If not make sure it all works. I love Key West but if you want to stay midway Islamorada is nice.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that information. Can you recommenf a hotel in Islamorada?
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 11:02 AM

I have been visiting Islamorada for 5 days or so,for the past 4 winters.

We stay at the Moorings Village. This is an expensive place but the accommodations are in private cottages of varying sizes. You could rent one to fit your group size.

They come with full kitchens and most are either right on the beach or set back under the palm trees. So you can cook your own meals if you like; they will provide a Weber grill and charcoal. They also provide bikes in excellent condition, and you can take any of their kayaks, small boats, etc, out for as long as you like. Most cottages have washer/dryer/dishwasher, and they all have very well equipped kitchens. It is a very relaxed place with most guests returning year after year.

There is no restaurant on site. You can walk to any of about 8 places to eat within a few blocks. We like Ma's Fish Camp.

The salt-water pool is wonderful.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that information.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 11:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.homeaway.com/results/flo...SA/minSleeps/2

look at some of these, since there are a lot of you.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 02:13 PM

If you are going with children, definitely check out the John Pennekamp State Park. They have a great trip on a boat to see the coral reefs.

My youngest DD did a big science project on coral reef destruction. She contacted NOAA, which has a big facility not too far from the park. We were invited to spend time with some marine biologists and got a very special tour of the park. Didn't take a lot of effort but paid off bigly in terrific learning experience. Strongly suggest you try this.