Family reunion ideas between Oklahoma and Tennessee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently lost our precious 103 yr. old grandpa. While everyone was home for his funeral, we reminisced about our sweet memories of past family reunions. We decided we needed introduce our children to this tradition. The majority of the family members live in Oklahoma and Tennessee, so we were thinking it would be so nice to meet somewhere in the middle. (approx. 50-60 people, ages 4-80) What we have in mind is a resort/camp allowing only a limited number of people. We feel a large public space would give everyone too many options and we’d end up not staying together. (and, that is the goal) When I was a young child, our families rented a church camp allowing only our families to stay there. As children, we thought it was “big fun”, but now we really don’t want to “rough it” that much. Doesn’t need to be 5 star, but we definitely want A/C and real beds vs. bunk beds!!! ;>)
Your suggestions would be welcome?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:55 PM

This may be more rustic than you want, but check out the state parks in Arkansas. They are beautiful, well-maintained, have several housing options, and provide lots of outdoor activities.
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/

Under "cabin parks," I would recommend both Petit Jean SP and Lake Ouachita SP (just ourside of Hot Springs).
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:20 AM

We may be related! Kidding, my family branched off in Tennessee while all my relatives live in North Texas. We grew up 'meeting in the middle' at Roaring River State Park in Missouri. We all got nostalgic too and are re-enacting our childhoods in June at the park with the next generation (10 kids and counting). It's a beautiful park and while there is a lot of nature activity there it's not really close enough to other towns to be too distracted. Just hiking and swimming and trout fishing. Not quite as restrictive as what you are talking about but I highly recommend it.

http://www.mostateparks.com/roaringriver.htm
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM

You might consider Big Cedar Lodge in Missouri. I've never been there but have heard from friends that it's wonderful. They have a variety of accommodation options including cottages, cabins and a lodge (or lodges).
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM

If you google Table Rock Lake, you come up with a bunch of sites for condos, lodges, etc. I don't know any of them personally, but Table Rock Lake is beautiful and fits the bill of being convenient for all. Plus, parts of the lake are near Branson (if that appeals).
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Table Rock Lake is beautiful...but Branson MO could be a really big distraction. Get your reservations early in the Branson/Table Rock area.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Katiekate - I have no advise, but I read your post and see we have something in common. I lost my 101 year old grandfather last August. Weren't we blessed to have them so long? What a joy he was to our family and I was so happy that my children got to know him and spend so much time listening to his stories and enjoying his company and advise. I miss him so much. I'm sure your family felt the same way about your precious grandpa- precious is the perfect word.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:48 AM

You might check this place out.

http://www.arkansas4hcenter.org/

I have never been there, but my kids went to 4-H camp there and enjoyed it. I know they have swimming, fishing, canoeing, rock climbing, etc. My wife says the lodge is similar to a small scale hotel.