Reload this Page >

Family accomodation in San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 04:33 PM
Jenni

We're travelling to San Diego over the weekend following Thanksgiving. I'm currently looking for accomodation for our family (2 adults/3 children aged 10/9/9). At the moment my choice is either the Days Inn or Travelodge on the Hotel Circle,as these hotels will accomodate the five of us in the one room. We're looking for moderate accomodation, ie. under $100 per night. Is this a good area to stay in? Any other suggestions in the San Diego region would be appreciated both for hotels and what attractions not to be missed. Coming from Australia, I'm not sure what to expect over Thanksgiving. We will be in Anaheim on the Thursday, but is this a long weekend holiday or do you only just celebrate on the Thanksgiving Day? I've also heard that the shopping sales are fantastic after Thanksgiving. Is this so? After San Diego where off to Las Vegas. Can someone please comment on travelling distance, time and where to stop along the way. Thanks in advance. I'm thrilled to have found this forum, full of wonderful information.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 07:37 PM
Candis

Jenni
We "celebrate" Thanksgiving by feasting only on one day. But employers and schools are off the entire weekend, and I believe it is one of the most heavily travelled weekends all year.
The shopping can be fantastic, but you have to know where to go... it isn't necessarily the "cheapest shopping day of the year", but rather the"biggest shopping day of the year"...ie: It is the day we traditionally start our Christmas shopping, and most of the malls will already be decorated accordingly.
I do not know the area you have mentioned. I personally prefer ther Loews Coronado Bay on Coronado Island. It is much more expensive, but unless you just plain old can't afford it, it is a real treat that is worth the money. Your kids will be respected and pampered, and the food is good.From there you can get all kinds of shuttles over to the "mainland". Call them and ask them a lot of questions to get the best deal.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 08:04 PM
Terry

Hotel Circle is an OK place to stay. Not much for atmosphere but safe, centrally located with allot of shopping and restaurants around. The trolley is also near by and can connect you to other parts of the city. You don't mention what you are interested in, but San Diego has an excellent zoo, Sea World, Balboa Park, and allot more. A Harbor Cruise is always nice especially during any holiday because allot of the ship are in Port. Tiajuana, Mexico right next door, but if you decide to go take your passports otherwise you can't get back into the U.S.

The drive from L.A. to S.D. should take 2 hrs without traffic but on a holiday weekend you never know. The drive from S.D. to Las Vegas is about 5 hrs without traffic. Most stop in Barstow for gas, dining, and if you like there is an outlet mall there.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:22 AM
SDSam

Your budget will limit your options. I do not recommend the Hotel Circle area. There is nothing wrong with the area in terms of safety etc. It is just that it is really a pretty boring area for a tourist.

My usual recomendations are for downtown, Coronado, La Jolla but you will probably not find suitable accomodations in these areas for less than $100.00 /nt. You may try the Ramada in Old Town or the downtown one. There is a good chance that they will be under $100 /nt. Both places and locations are good.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:25 AM
SDSam

I forgot to mention that Candis is 100% correct about the Thanksgiving weekend. Though Thanksgiving is on Thirsday, we usually get a 4 day weekend and it is the heaviest travel weekend of the year.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Jeanette

I would second the suggestion of the Ramada Limited Old Town. It is a much better location for your planned excursions and you can walk around the very nice little historic area at night and find some excellent places to "walk and dine." The kids will enjoy the old
graveyard etc. -lots of history / OLD WEST for them to see.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Bonnie

I have stayed in several areas of San Diego including Loews & Hotel Del Coronado(Coronado Island), Sheraton (Harborside) and most recently The Beach Cottages (Pacific Beach). When travelling with children I look for a 2 bedroom accomodation that usually is in a converted apartment building. There are several places that I noticed while walking the boardwalk along Pacific Beach. The Pacific Beach area is directly on the beach, you can walk for miles along the boardwalk, lots of inexpensive places to eat, and easy access to the highway. The best way for you to see San Diego is to take a Trolley Tour. You will have a narrated tour, can get off and on the trolley at most tourist spots, and don't have to worry about driving and parking. It's a bit expensive for an entire family but well worth it. When you drive from L.A.
you can take advantage of the special lane for cars that are carrying more that 1 passenger. It may save you time.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 08:00 PM
bonnie

Wanted to add a little more to my reply. You could check out the website
belonging to San Diego Hotel Reservations www.savecash.com. Also you could look at a property called Sommerset Suites Hotel. They will shuttle you to some of the sights and they have studios and 1 bedroom suites that are reasonable. Breakfast is included. There are several Comfort Suites in San Diego that also include Breakfast and seem family-friendly. Maybe the Holiday Inn at Mission Bay which have "suites" as well for families. Do you belong to an automobile association? You could save money on hotels and attractions if you do. It might be worth looking at joining the Amer. Auto. Assoc for your visit.