Search

Fall '05 UTAH TRIP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall '05 UTAH TRIP

I'm very late reporting back on a fabulous trip to Utah in Oct/Nov. A special thank you to Utahtea and Dayle for excellent advice. My husband and I flew to Las Vegas from the Northeast. Toured in Utah with rental car Oct 28-Nov 6(almost 2,000 miles). We've done a lot of traveling in the US and worldwide and this was just about perfect!

Bryce Canyon - 2 nights Bryce Canyon Lodge.
Grand Staircase-Escalante - 2 nights Boulder Mountain Lodge, Boulder.
Capitol Reef - 1 night Sky Ridge Inn, Torrey.
Arches&Canyonlands - 2 nights Sleep Inn, Moab.
Zion - 2 nights Desert Pearl, Sringdale.

Utahtea, if I hadn't read your description of Kodachrome Basin, I probably would not have stopped. I loved it, in part due to the small size and only one other car in the park. Hiked Angels Palace Trail.

We basically started travelng in the early AM and were constantly wowed by the spectacular scenery. On entering a park, we took the scenic park drive, stopped for hikes, and then checked into our accommodations very tired and happy.

Advice I received that I agree with: Leaving Zion for last gave us an easy drive back to LV at end of trip and Desert Pearl was a wonderful place to relax after being on the go, Capitol Reef is under rated, and Rt 12 is not to be missed, especially north of Bryce.

Also, I don't think you have to worry about doing it "wrong" because it's all spectacular. Travelottie
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Hi Travelottie,

I'm so glad you took time to post and that you had a great trip! October is a perfect time to go. Next, we'll have to get you out for the Tetons and Yellowstone. Or have you already visited?

Ciao!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I've been lucky enough to visit the Tetons, Yellowstone, and many other national parks on two previous cross country trips. In 1978, we drove from the northeast to Alaska in a VW camper.

I'm going back to Las Vegas and will plan another trip to southern Utah and possibly Arizona and New Mexico. Any suggestions regarding Lake Powell, Monument Valley, or the 4 corners area? I haven't started to research this yet.
Is this area warm enough for a winter visit?
Thanks again, Travelottie
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Travelottie,

Thanks for the trip report!What did you think about the accommodations at each location? We are considering a similar trip this summer (maybe June).
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM

travelottie,

Thanks for the trip report. Glad I could be of help. I guess DH and I are going to have to go back to Kodachrome State Park on a sunny day!

I haven't been to Lake Powell or Monument Valley in the winter. I know that by the end of October the snowbird (RV'ers) leave Lake Powell because it gets to cold.

Other places to visit in the 4 corners area would be Canyon de Chelly National Monument, AZ, Hovenweep National Monument, Utah, Mesa Verde National Park, CO and Chaco Culture National Historical Park, NM.

Utahtea
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Great trip report! After reading it and the post Utahtea added, I'm ready to go back! ;-)
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

luvtravel,
Regarding accommodations:
Bryce Canyon Lodge - we took advantage of an off season special rate($89) for the MOTEL UNIT which was very basic and could be depressing if you had to stay in the room. I didn't see the lodge rooms but I assume they are nicer. I was glad to be stayng in the park and avoid driving in & out.

Boulder MT Lodge, Sky Ridge Inn, and Desert Pearl Inn were all special places to stay with great scenery right out the door.

Travel Inn Moab was as you would expect for a Travel Inn. This one looked new, clean property, with friendly staff. Again we got a great off season & senior rate.($35.20). It was nice to be in Moab near the end of the trip because by then we appreciated being in a city with numerous dinning choices, etc.
At dinner our first night, at the Moab Brewery, my husband remarked that there were more people in the dinning room than we had seen in total during the rest of the trip.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Yes, the Moab Brewery is great, isn't it?

Winter can be very cold in the 4 corners. It can snow in Monument Valley and Moab. It's high altitude desert. If you are prepared with the proper clothing it can be fun, but many places do close down for winter.

Happy trails!