Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Kea Lani - is it a 5 star? very luxury?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on travelocity it has the Kea Lani as a 4 star and the Grand Wailea as a 5 star...
I didnt think the GW is a 5 star?

Expedia has the Kea Lani as a 5 star and the GW as a 4.5 star...

which is true?
and is the Kea Lani very luxurious? is the service that much better than the GW, and is it a much better choice for a couple into romance? but a couple who loves glitz...... but wants to also steer clear of tons of kids....

I know some of you already ansered somewhat of this question on my other post, but I also want to know about the stars..and level of....

thank you, i have to decide soon, as our trip is less than 4 weeks away! we dont arrive in Wailea til Sept 11th though (after labor day ..i.e..kids...)

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Okay, I replied to your other post and you may be sick of hearing from me. BUT I faced this same decision a few months ago and, after reading bashing after bashing, chose Grand Wailea anyway - and loved it! I toured both resorts pretty well while I was there. NO WAY does Kea Lani belong in the same star class as far as beauty. (Forget "understated elegance". - It's drab compared to GW!) However, I think the service is comparable, and a suite is almost always better than a room. GW was NOT crowded with kids even though it was summer and full capacity. In my case, the room was just not as important to me as the pool and grounds. Don't get me wrong, the room was very nice and the bathroom gorgeous. - But it wasn't a suite.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:30 PM

However, if you do decide to stay somewhere other than the Kea Lani, you do have to go there for dinner at Nick's.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM

I wouldn't call the Kea Lani drab, but I know it's not a 5 star. I thought the travel channel stated that the Princeville Resort was the only 5 star hotel in all of Hawaii. That is probably incorrect though.

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM

I would never call Kea Lani drab - it is gorgeous. GW was full of kids when we went (they have a little "wading beach" which was packed with toddlers). They are both very high end, luxurious resorts. However I think GW has more of an Atlantis feel whereas Kea Lani is more low key. Everybody and their brother has heard of GW whereas Kea Lani is more of an undiscovered gem. Like I said previously, I had initially wanted to stay at GW, but after staying at Kea Lani and visiting GW, I would never consider GW (unless we were taking our kids). A lot of the famous shots you see are just that - photo ops - and not parts of the resort that you actually spend time in.

You've asked several times about "luxurious" - what specifically do you mean? Kea Lani is quieter and better for relaxing but GW has a renowned art collection. I guess it kind of depends on personal taste.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

thank you,
by luxurious, I mean amenities.. level of service, the staff actually caring if you are happy...
also, I am wondering about the restaurants, bars..etc.. does the GW have more of this?
also, the GW has little nooks, like private little swings or chairs under huts tucked in the landscaping.. does the Kea Lani have as much to amuse you, or "eye candy" so to speak?

the biggest thing is that I know we would LOVE the way the GW looks... and staying in the Napua tower the room is over 700 sq ft.. plenty bg for the 2 of us... I am hoping the service n the Napua tower would be better than not staying club level...

i am concerned with the beach crawling w/kiddies?

that said....... I just want to make the right choice..I know..either way I cant go wrong, it just seeems the GW gets so bashed.... and everyone says if you dont have kids..dont stay there..is it really not romantic?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Plenty of nooks and crannies. No problems relaxing at all. Many people stay there without children... Just check out JohnD's trip report. (You'll find it by putting Grand Wailea under subject.)