Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in Outer Banks for just two people?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My boyfriend and I were planning to go to the Outer Banks in August (the 18th through the 22nd) but the place we had hoped to rent in Duck is all booked up (reservations for weekends in-season had to be made last minute but they seem to be full.

We're open to any area in the Outer Banks, but we just need room enough for two and just for that long weekend. We were hoping to find something peaceful and relaxing on or very near the beach. Nightlife & activities aren't super important, but we would like to be able to access restaurants. (Are we being too picky?!)

Does anyone have any websites/info that might help? I don't seem to find any websites that allow a search based on per night. Has anyone had any luck with a mini-vacation for two people during high-season in the OBX?

Thanks in advance!
Susan
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

I suppose I also should've mentioned we're looking for the $100 - 150 per night range. Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is difficult to find a place for a mini-break during the high season. Have you considered taking a rental for the full week? Sat to Sat is the by far the most common turnover day but there are places that rent Sun to Sun. If that's a no go, I suggest you contact some of the rental companies directly and see if a mini break can be booked for a place that isn't already rented that week. It will almost certainly be a last minute arrangement tho.

Another alternative is the Sanderling Inn. Very peaceful and definitely relaxing. Pricey tho.

Oops. Just saw your price range. Nix the Sanderling.

Good luck!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:02 PM
emd

Almost everything is rented for that week (I looked for a place for a week about a month ago). But there are still some places available. You might get lucky by calling a realtor and finding a house that is not rented at the last minute and have them rent it to you for a long weekend, although I kind of doubt it since most of them just don't rent for less than a week in summer. I would call the realtors in the areas you want and ask if they rent last minute for less than a week in houses they have left.
As for renting a room at an Inn, even the First Colony Inn, which is nice but not as nice as Sanderling, is $200 a night in summer. I think even the beach hotels are that much too.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:08 AM

This is a real problem in the area. We had a house rental for 2 weeks last summer and had friends who wanted to come stay for a few days. There are really NO places to rent rooms for a few days and even if you want a full week's rental - - small houses are just about non-existent. This area could definitely use a few small hotels or motels but my guess is that the people who own property there (MacMansions) would object to having hotels built.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:07 AM

There are all kinds of motels and hotels from Nags Head all the way to Hatteras Village and beyond that may very well have space available...if you are looking for a house you can either call realtors directly or contact the BIGGEST one, Sun Realty, and try them
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the responses! You're all really helpful. I contacted a few realty places, and hopefully I'll hear back with some good news. If not, I'll plan better for next year knowing that it's probably best to go for a week. Thanks again! I'll let you know what I find out.

Susan
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:44 AM

This will have everything you need.

http://outerbanks.com/

Curious
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:15 PM

My wife and I just returned from a trip to the Outer Banks. We stayed at Advice 5 Cents, an excellent B&B in Duck. The atmosphere, location and owners are great. Doubtful that one of their five rooms would be available on a weekend in August, but it would be worth a call to find out. They also have a Web site. Good luck.