Fairmont Hotel San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a stay here in late August. We love the Fairmont in NOLA, but we know that hotel chain properties can vary greatly. Does anyone have any information regarding the rooms? Are they spacious and comfortable? Anyone have any "favorite" rooms on particular floors?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Check out the reviews at TripAdvisor.com
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Rooms may be a bit on the smaller side as this hotel has been around forever. Take heart that because this is one of San Francisco's Grand Dames - it's sure to be luxurious and enchanting.

I recently watched a documentary on one of our local San Francisco stations covering the history of San Francisco. If I remember correctly, the Fairmont was nearly complete when the great earthquake hit and leveled the city.

The original owner was killed and his two daughters used their inheritance to rebuild the hotel atop glorious Nob Hill.

As the city was being rebuilt throughout the following years, the elite of San Francisco considered the completed hotel (I think it took two or three years to get up) a haven from the noise and chaos of the surrounding town.

At the time the Fairmont was only outdone by The Palace as San Francisco's top hotel. The Palace had also been pretty much destroyed in the quake and was rebuilt as a spectacular world-class hotel.

If you have time, consider dropping in on The Palace for tea. The tea room was once a fabulous dining room for men only. Their wives could look down from above from their separate dining area that overlooked the main room via french windows.

In any event, in 2001 the Fairmont completed an $85 million dollar renovation.

I know this totally didn't answer your question - but I do think you've made a good choice in hotels!

P.S. The Fairmont Tonga room is fun for a drink, but avoid it for meals.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:53 PM

We've stayed at the Fairmont twice and loved it both times. The rooms are somewhat on the smaller side, but it's such a wonderful hotel I was willing to give up the larger room that we would get in a newer hotel. Our rooms were comfortable, what was lacking was extra space for a couch, etc. I would go back again just for the historic atmosphere! They have a wonderful tea each afternoon. Be sure to treat yourself!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Some of the rooms will have a view, some will not. Ask for a room with a view in the tower. We stayed in one a few years ago. Great! Plus, the Fairmont is in a fantastic location in the City...on the cable car lines, near Chinatown and across from the Mark Hopkins. Dress warm and enjoy it!