Search

Fabulous San Fran Trip report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabulous San Fran Trip report

Thank you all for the great info.

Hubby and I just had a fabulous 4 days in San fran and didnt' get to do all we had hoped! Great reasons to go back!
Thurs night: we arrived late, had dinner at a little Indonesian place on Geary. There were several in this area just off Powell and were affordable and looked nice (food was good).
Friday we rented bikes at Pier 41 from Blazing Saddles. This is their most crowded location, next time will use Pier 43 1/2 or another spot. Biked across the GG bridge, so awesome! Went through Sausalito, pretty touristy. Rode around to Tiburon and had lunch at the Mexican place right by the ferry, very good! Sams Place in Tibureon is more "happening" though, Amer food, active back deck with people hanging out. A cute small town.
Friday night was a walk through Haight Asbury, a Gap on the corner, gasp! Drinks at a casual bar called Club Deluxe, live Music after 9.

Saturday hit the Farmers market and Artist gathering at Embarcadero/Market St. WOW! What fresh wonderful produce, puts the midwest mkts to shame. Lots of tastings, plus bought some fabulous olive oil and merlot jelly. Yum!

Took the Stairs UP Coit tower. Recommend going down the steps next time.
Went down into N Beach at the Big cathedral, nice. better yet- a Beer/Oyster fest was going on in Washington Square! We hung out there listening to good music for hours and met some locals and had a great time! Went with a crew of peopel to a Bar near the Haight Area that starts with a Z with a great outdoor beer garden. I will get the streets off a map if anyone is interested!
Sunday toured around, hit City Lights Bookstore, could spend a rainy afternoon here (or sunny one if I wasn't on limited time). had tea/cocktails next door at Vesuvio, a classic place! Wandered into North Beach to see all the wonderful restaurants and cafes. Bused over to Cow Hollow to see the shops and have a beer at the Bus Stop Saloon! Then went past the painted ladies and explored Castro. Dinner Sun night at the Hyde St. Raw Bar My fish baked in parchment was just ok, hubby had a great shrimp/shallot/mussel special. Small quieter place, just what we wanted!
Monday up fairly early and took the Geary bus across town to the CliffHouse on the Pacific Ocean. What fabulous views and great breakfast (opens at 9am) I had Poached eggs, with crab meat on sourdough with a creamy bourbon sauce. Yum! For less dinero, just up the road is Louis', a greasy spoon, also with great views, that we will try next time!

We got the 3 day bus/trolleycar/Muni pass for $15 each A trolley costs $3 per person each trip so the $15 was worth it. The pass was easy to use and heled us jet around more quickly, though we still walked a lot. Also only $4.95 to take the Bart from the airport right into Powell/Market STation.

Future trips: Eat in North Beach, coffee at Buena Vista, Bike/explore Golden gate Park, Drive/Bike up to Muir Woods, dinner at Sausalito, Alcatraz night tour, Napa/Sonoma.

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions! LOVE San francisco!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Glad to hear you had such a great time, eroz. What hotel did you stay at during your trip (assuming there was a hotel involved?)
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we did a last minute United Vacations getaway and got a great deal for direct flights (Chicago to SFO) and 4 nights hotel. Crowne Plaza Union square. Old hotel (needs to be updated) but clean rooms and nice staff. No problems. A perfect location, right on Powell, on the trolley line and just a few blocks N of Market. Easy walk to Chinatown!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Sounds like a great trip! FYI...I'm pretty sure that Gap in Haight Ashbury is the ORIGINAL Gap (notice the buttons on your Gap jeans say "San Francisco 1969"). So, I suppose it's not as terrible that it's there.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Sorry, but the original Gap store was located on Ocean Avenue. It sold records and clothing at first, but closed long ago.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Sorry! I guess I got some bad information! Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:50 AM

eroz, Great trip report! Isn't there someone around here who says two days in SF is plenty? I'm glad you have a nice list of things to look forward to on your next trip.