"W" Hotel--San Francisco: Review

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Chris

Stayed at the W San Francisco recently.
This is a new brand of hotel developed by Sheraton/Starwood.
The hotel is directly across the street from the Moscone Convention Center, about 3 blocks from Market at 3rd Street.
The W SF is highly stylized with extreme emphasis on being hip. The lobby and bar are all dimly lit by purple lights and most everything is done in black and white (mostly black), there is throbbing but not especially loud techno type music throughout the first floor.
Elevators are all black and very dark, again with dim purplish lighting.
Halls are dark with small lights, carpeting is bold black and cream stripes, each about 2 feet wide.
Rooms are small by my standards, perhaps 20X13 feet or so.
Best feature: very high quality beds. Very comfortable. Also good shower heads with plenty of water power.
Bathrooms are aesthetically pleasing, minimalist style. Glass counter with shiny aluminum/steel sink. Aveda toiletries. Hair dryer. Ironing board/iron.
Interesting "window seat" with pillows and cushion for reclining.
I'm quite picky about hotels and usually will spend over $350 per night on lodging when on business trips. The "W" has achieved its goal, I believe, of creating a hip/trendy hotel. Not really my style, but sure to please those looking for something in this niche. And if you're attending meetings at the Convention Center, you can't get any closer.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Junger

nice report. I have stayed at a couple "W"'s Nyc Union Square and recently in Honolulu. A nice choice. The room in Honolulu was easily 25 x 40 and what a view.

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have a new review for this hotel? thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM

I have been to the lobby bar of the W in downtown San Diego. Beautiful hote. Have not stayed there or checked out the rooms, but would love to sometime. I was very impressed by the ambiance of the place. When we walked by, Steeley Dan was loading up to go to their concert venue so we stayed and had a drink to watch the people. They had big loungey chairs, chess games and backgammon, lots of pretty sea glass and ocean accessories. My understanding is that they have a "beach bar" on the roof with sand and all. Have to check that out someday. Let ya know if I do...

Do you have to book these rooms through the website or directly through the hotel? Doesn't look like the kind of hotel that ever has to discount or go through brokers to book up.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:30 PM

I love W San Francisco. Great location, cool hotel. If you like traditional, it is NOT the place for you, however.