Search

Exploring Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exploring Wyoming

Hi, I'm planning to go from Rawlins Wyoming to West Yellowstone in a day, is this possible? According to the map looks like I will pass through Teton National park and then go into Yellowstone National Park. Just wondering if this is possible or if I've bitten off too much for one day.Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I don't quite follow what you want to know. It is a long drive, better than 450 miles from Rawlins to Old Faithful and another 60-65 miles to West Yellowstone.

Your average speed can be close to 60 mph if you don't stop much. But still, you are looking at 9 hours driving time.

If you want to do anything in the Tetons, you can plan on a very late arrival in West Yellowstone.

If you have the freedom of choice, why not stay that first night at Signal Mountain Lodge or Colter Bay and then go on to Yellowstone?

How much time did you allow? I could have easily spent 5 days in Yellowstone as a first time visitor plus 2 or 3 more days for the Tetons.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:09 PM

OOPS I meant West Thumb, not Old Faithful. Old Faithful is closer to West Yellowstone, about 30 miles total.

What you suggest can be done. It is a long day of driving without a whole lot to see. The Wind River Range is not really visible from the highway.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:06 PM

bob_brown, not sure where you got your 450 miles but MS Streets and Trips puts Rawlings, WY to West Yellowstone, MT at 350 miles. This is driving Hwy 287 to Landers (where there the Sinks Canyon State Park is a great stretch your legs kind of stop) , then Hwy 26 to Morgan Jct. at the Grand Tetons, and Hwy 89 into Yellowstone.

This could be driven in 7 hours but there is a lot to see and many stops that you might want to make along the way. What are your other plans in this area?

Even if the Wind River Range is not visible from the road, it's a scenic mountain drive.

Utahtea

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:41 PM

I will believe 350!! Another senior moment. I must have slipped on the keypad plugging in map milages.

I drove that route all the way to Laramie one day from West Yellowstone.

I forgot about Sinks.

I never will forget it because we got blasted with a hailacious storm.
I feared that those chunks of ice were going to beat out the windshield.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:05 AM

It's tough to give you the best advice without knowing how much time you want to spend in the western part of the state. The Wind River Mountains area is beautiful, but do you want to spend time there, and thus take away time in Yellowstone and the Teton?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great replys. I had a feeling that there might be more to do in the area then what I had ran across. We will be working our way to Yellowstone from Colorado Springs via hwys 287 & 26 & 89 and then spending 3 days at Yellowstone. I have not found any info on Sinks Canyon State Park and all I know about Wind River was that it was a Indian Reservation. I will do some research and see what I can find on those two places. I can already see that we are gonna have to make a return trip to the area. There is so much there!!! Can't wait!! It does sound like a long day of driving so I will see what alterations I can make. Again,Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Sinks Canyon State Park:

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/sinks1.htm

Utahtea
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Since you are talking about only spending 3 days in Yellowstone, I would save the Wind River Mountain area for another trip. You'll barely scratch the surface of YNP in 3 days, and we haven't even talking about the Grand Teton.
The Wind River Mountain area is beautiful, but not THAT beautiful to sacrifice time in Yellowstone.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Your drive is very doable but I wouldn't take time to stop at Sinks Canyon S.P. I've camped there and didn't think much of it--just my opinion.

You will get a great view of the Tetons driving the highway. IMO, you get a much better view than from the park road. Yes, there are things to do in GTNP but most just drive through. Maybe another time you will have time to spend there.

You will be passing sites to see in Yellowstone but I'd go on by and get to W. Y. You'll have the next few days to go back and take your time seeing them.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your advice. I'm confidant in my choices now, and looking forward to the trip. Sure hope we see moose and bear!!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Moose have been harder to find in Yellowstone. We've been really lucky seeing them around dusk in the Grand Tetons. Ask the rangers where they've been hanging out.

Utahtea
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Great idea!! Thanks. I was also wondering about Como Bluff and a Dinosaur Dig that I've found some info on. Is anyone familiar with this and is it worth a detour to try and see?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM

On Como. My son and his two boys stopped by there. The older of the two was really into dinosaurs at the time. They actually spent a few hours digging out around a fossil.

I think it is the kind of thing that you must be interested in doing. If the interest is not there before hand, I am not sure a visit there will cultivate it.

The younger of the two guys got bored with it in a hurry. My daughter-in-law went along because that is way. She pitches in to facilitate everything the guys do. (Needless to say, I think highly of my daughter-in-law.)