help with our trip to wy

Search

help with our trip to wy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with our trip to wy

My husband and I, and our 2 daughters, ages 16 and 20, are planning a trip to rushmore, yellowstone, and tetons, between Aug. 4-Aug. 12. We are flying from VA to Denver and then renting a car for the trip. Any suggestions on places to stay, places to see, how to divide our time, where to hike,etc... would be greatly appreciated!!!! Should we look into staying at ranches or hotels????What's best with teenagers? Thanks so much for your help!!!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:47 PM

From Denver to the Grand Tetons is 510 miles. That's one long day of driving and if you are flying in on Aug 4th you probably won't make it all the way to the Tetons that day so you won't get to the Tetons until the 5th. Spend Aug 6 at the Tetons.

To really see Yellowstone it takes at least 3days (Aug. 7, 8, 9)

If you haven't already made reservations in Yellowstone your chances of staying in the park are slim to none. I would suggest find a place in W. Yellowstone for the first two nights. It's the best out of park location for seeing the park. We always camp so I can't recommend any place.

There is so much to do in Yellowstone. As you come in from the Tetons visit the West Thumb geyser area and then spend the rest of the day in the Old Faithful area visiting all the geyser basins. Spend the second day visiting Norris Geyser Area, Mammoth Hot Springs and go to Tower Junction. If you have time you might try the stagecoach ride and dinner at Roosevelt. Spend the last day visiting the Canyon, Mudpots, Hayden Valley and Lake and I would recommend spending the night in Cody, Wyoming to get a faster start to Mt. Rushmore the next day.

Aug 10 drive the 400 miles from Cody to Rapid City.

Aug. 11 spend the day at Mt. Rushmore and drive out to Badlands National Park.

Aug 12 drive the 402 miles back to Denver.

Utahtea

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:15 AM

As Utahtea has pointed out, you're facing a lot of driving for an 8-9-day vacation....at least three full days just driving between destinations!
I'd eliminate Mt. Rushmore and spend the entire time in Yellowstone and the Teton.
You can easily spend 4-5 days in Yellowstone. And the Teton (our personal favorite) is definitely worth a lot more than one day!
PS: Why didn't you change planes in Denver and fly closer to your Wyoming destinations?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:04 AM
cd

Utahtea
Are you taking 16 out of Cody? How is the condition of the roads? How long to drive from West Yellowstone to Cody? We will be making this drive(W Yellowstone to Deadwood) in one day. Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:06 AM
cd

bobbibears
We are staying in West Yellowstone at:http://[email protected]/
They have told me they are 2 blocks to the entrance of Yellowstone and 1/2 drive to Old Faithful. Looks like a nice place.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:08 AM
cd

opps, 1/2 hour
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:53 AM

I would suggest stopping over in Pinedale, WY on your way to Yellowstone as we did last year coming from Co. Springs. It is on rte 191 (Rocksprings exit I-80) and 457 miles 6:45 from Denver. That leaves a short trip to the Tetons the next morning and you can continue to West Yellowstone later in the day or the next morning. Depending on your arrival in Denver, a shorter drive would be to Rocksprings (351 miles, 4:45) and spend the night there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:46 AM

First I want to say I agree with HowardR on this is to much driving for the short time you have. I would also drop Mt. Rushmore. It's only shaving off 335 miles off your trip but it will be more relaxing to just spend the extra time in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. You won't get bored there!

To CD,

I think my favorite route is 14 through Greybull but all the passes are nice. The mileage is about the same. I't been several years since we've driven any of these roads. The last time we came in to Yellowstone it was on the Beartooth Hwy.

The drive from W. Yellowstone to Cody will depend alot on the amount of traffic and road work in the park, but cutting thought the middle of the park will be the fastest route. Going from W. Yellowstone to Rapid City is 530 miles and your looking at about 10 hours of just driving time. Make sure you get up REALLY early in the morning the day you leave and maybe you will miss some of the traffic in the park.

If you have to stay outside the park, then W. Yellowstone would be my first choice. I think it's really a good location to see so much of the park. We usually spot wildlife on the drive in from W. Yellowstone and there are many geyser areas before you get to Old Faithful...make sure you stop at as many as you can.

Utahtea
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:50 PM
cd

Thanks Utahtea!
We will be in Deadwood, Mt Rusemore and Crazy Horse and then to Custer State Park. Any favorite places in Custer?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 03:55 PM

To cd,

I like the Wildlife Loop and the Needles Highway in Custer State Park.

Also in the area take the Iron Mountain Road to Mt. Rushmore. The built the tunnels so you can see Mt. Rushmore as you go thought the tunnels.

Utathea
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:08 PM
cd

Utahtea
Thanks again. Very helpful infomation!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:17 PM

Are you saying that you were told it was a half hour drive to Old Faithful?

I don't think so.

It is 30 miles from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful over a road that is heavily traveled with a speed limit of 45 mph, which, although regularly broken, is not going to allow you to drive 60 mph.

You pass several busy thermal featues on the way on both sides of the road, plus the normal wildlife attractions that cause drivers to stop.
You might make it in 45 minutes early or late. My guess is more like an hour.

From West Yellowstone to Canyon is 40 miles over a road is, for 12 miles, under construction. Also, you have a 50 mile drive to Lake Yellowstone at the West Thumb area. So it is a big park that takes a lot of time to see.

I think you might roll the dice and see if you cannot get one night in the park.
I think staying there adds to the experience.

Also, this time of year, you will not have much choice where you stay. If you do not already have a place to sleep at night, you may be forced to drive off route.

I suggest you leave out Rushmore.
Other than to think of it as a place where some people took dynamite and jackhammers and defaced a perfectly good mountain, I never have gotten too worked up over it.

At least the drive over the Bighorn Range is pretty.
And the Black Hills have some scenic beauty to them.

But your drive time to viewing time ratio is tilted very heavily in favor of driving.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:20 AM
cd

Thanks Bob
We have reservations right ourside the gate at Yellowstone Lodge and maybe what they told me was that it was 30 miles to Old Faithful and what I equaled that to was 1/2 hr. I will plan on it being an hour. Once in the park we will stay all day and not go back till dark. (will be there 3 days) The only thing left in the park when we made our reservations was Mammoth and Roosevelt, both of which reqires the same amount of driving as staying in West Yellowstone. Besides, after staying in Yosemite (and loving it) I really preferred the hotel with TV and music and pool and breakfast.