Everglades????

Old May 21st, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everglades????

New to Florida. Always wanted to do the Everglade tour. Looking for some input as to where i should start from to do the typical tourist trip to the Evergaldes.

looking for hotel suggestions, airboat operators, small towns in the area that are of interest.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM

I have never been on either of these,

But my sister moved to florida - so I complied a list of 52 fun things to do around the wpb area...and these were one of them

"23. Experience the Everglades! Ecotours aboard motorized swamp buggies, and airboat rides., Big Cypress Seminole Reservation - 19miles north of 1-75 Exit 49, FL 800.949.6101 or also at Sawgrass Recreation Park, US 27 North of I-595, Fort Lauderdale."
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM

You can easily do a day tour (okay, maybe a couple one-day tours) of the Everglades from just about anywhere in the Miami area. Maybe stay in Homestead for a few days, and drive into the Everglades. From there, here's my advice:

1) do NOT visit the Everglades during the summer -- the mosquitoes will eat you alive. If you decide against this advice, don't even think about going to Flamingo unless you have a death wish.

2) drive into the main entrance and walk the Ahinga Trail. You're almost guaranteed to seen several birds and alligators.

3) drive all the way to Flamingo, making stops at Mzarec Pond or Snake Bight Trail or Mahogany Hammock or whatever. While at Flamingo, take a boat tour, or just hike to the Bear Ponds.

4) go to Shark Valley, and either ride the tram or a bike to the viewing tower.

5) take the Loop Road through Big Cypress Preserve.

6) while driving to the main entrance, stop at Bob's Fruit Stand and grab a key lime shake.

7) be aware that airboats are so noisy and so disruptive to the flora and fauna of the Everglades, that they are not permitted within the national park.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM

Seconding PaulRabe's excellent advice, especially #s 1 (we're not kidding about the mosquitoes) and 6.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM

Hey, I'm glad I looked at your post and the responses. I've always wanted to go to the Everglades, but I only have summers off - so very glad to have the warning about the mosquitos. When is a good time to visit? Would March or April work? Or December? Thanks for the help.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:49 AM

My husband & I have vacationed twice in the Everglades. The first time, we stayed several nights at Flamingo Lodge, and the second time, we rented a houseboat from the Flamingo Marina. Unfortunately, neither of these options are available now due to the damage from Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

You will LOVE the Everglades. They are truly fantastic. My advice is to plan at least one night in Homestead (so you can drive into Flamingo) and perhaps one night in Everglades City, on the western edge of the Everglades.

From Homestead, definitely make sure you do the Anhinga Trail once you enter the park. As Paul says, you will see a stunning variety of wildlife. I am not sure when you are going, but if it's in the fall or winter, the rangers will likely be holding ranger walks around Eco Pond. I highly recommend them - it's a small pond with TONS of birds in the mornings and evenings - wonderful. You can rent a canoe or motor boat from Flamino Marina, or take a chartered fishing trip, or take a boat tour.

Also, do make sure you stop at the "Robert Is Here" fruit & shake stand. You may want to stop twice - once on the way in and once on the way out! It's legendary. Here's their website: http://www.robertishere.com/ You will not regret it.

I have not been to Shark Valley but lots of people have recommended the Tram Tour. You could stop either on your way to Homestead or the way back up to Tampa.

I also haven't stayed in Everglades City, but we are planning a trip. Lots of cute little places to stay. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this end!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:50 AM

I forgot to say, the airboat tours are extremely loud and scare away much of the wildlife. I would definitely recommend a canoe trip instead.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:30 AM

Wait until next winter to explore the Everglades. The skeeters will eat you alive during the summer. I am sure someone has already mentioned this... If you make a summer trip (windows up A/C on) drive the campgrounds, many times we have seen Eagles and Ospreys on the picnic tables. Once in a while you may even see a few brave campers. Stop at the fruit stand "Robert is Here" on your way to the Park, its a few miles out of Florida City on the main road.. Wonderful Milk Shakes.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM

One thing to consider is that the airboat tours will be a lot cooler in the summer because of the wind vs. a boat or canoe tour.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
GoTravel

Advice, wait to visit until mosquito season is over which would be about October.