Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ever taken a Yellowstone Association tour/class?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering a semi-private tour with the Yellowstone Association (http://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/institute/). We're not usually tour people but we're very behind in planning this late Sept trip (3 weeks away) and thought they might take the guess work out of things. We're a mid-30s, very active couple and would be day hiking but probably not camping.

Has anyone ever used them? Or have any other suggestions on dedicated day guides/naturalists (other than the park rangers)?
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I would imagine they would do a very good job, but I wouldn't enjoy the multi-day tour. I'd pick one or two of the day tours maybe - but those look so pricey.

In three weeks you can easily plan a Yellowstone trip. Read some trip reports - there are several from this summer (including mine).

I have taken a ranger led hike on a day I was doing the park solo and enjoyed that a lot. I'm just not a fan of tours, and Yellowstone is so easy to see...
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:44 PM

I took a photography class in July and stayed at Lamar Buffalo Ranch. I highly recommend it!
You stay in shared cabins, bring and cook your own food in the common kitchen. They have volunteers that drive students around the park in small schoolbuses. It was a lot of fun and I met some interesting people. Lamar is a very beautiful and serene place. You can view some of my photos on www.lchin.smugmug.com
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 03:28 AM

I agree with starrs. If lodging is a problem in the park, take the number and keep calling. People make reservations way in advance and then cancel. frequently things open up as you get closer to the time you want to go.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HunyBadger, what did you end up doing on this trip? I too am toying with the idea of a Yellowstone Association trip for next year. A couple friends and I were thinking about the Fall Wolves and Elk trip. I am also not a "tour" person but have gone on a few African safaris (albeit private), so I appreciate that sometimes and in some places you need expert guides. Wondering if this is the case for YNP.