Yellowstone/GTNP hop in/out tour

Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Yellowstone/GTNP hop in/out tour

Got the idea for the title from another poster. Due to mobility issues, walking is limited, not much stair climbing and hiking is out. However, my DD lives in Denver and I am thinking about going first 2 weeks of July. Would probably fly to SLC and she could drive in her SUV to meet me. Have been told it's probably already too late to try to get summer reservation in park-sponsored sites. Goal of the trip is to spend time with DD while seeing some nature. She is avid hiker, will venture out on her own. Suggestions for hotels, restaurants, itineraries, etc. welcome, thanks!
Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM

If you could get lodging in the park that would be best IMHO, and even if they say they are full you should call them and keep calling as the time gets close as people make reservations a year in advance and then cancel when they find they can't make it. In the mean time, make a reservation near by that can be cancelled if you get some in park days. Many people here have used West Yellowstone as a base as it is close to the entrance and has lots of motel/hotels.

There is plenty to see from a car or with short walks over fairly flat surfaces in Yellowstone, but 2 weeks with no hiking might be overkill, unless you would be happy to sit in your room and read while DS is hiking.
Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:38 PM

Search under my user name for my trip report from July/August 2011. We went from SLC to Yellowstone with small people and basically did the hop in and out tour. Make reservations outside the park--either West Yellowstone or Mammoth--and keep calling the Park back to see if they get a cancellation.
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM

We almost always hike 20 miles or so at our National Park visits. We have only been to Yellowstone once and never did a single hike. We did walk around the Geysers near Old Faithful though and did walk on the boardwalks to the mudpots and pools.
You spent 4 days there and really did 90% of it from the car. There is that much to see.
You could also include a float trip down the Snake River and a float trip on Jenny Lake in the Tetons.
Don't know if you would be up for horseback or wagon ride, but those are available too.
You could also do some boating on Lake Yellowstone.
Maybe sit in the warm swimming area at Gardiner.

Definately Stay "in park". I bet there is something still available. Take it and then call back later to get exactly what and where you want(people cancel at the last minute).
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM

With 2 weeks you could drive up to Glacier as well.
Keep calling for in park lodging. My SIL always gets last minute rooms there.
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM

Am wondering about the hop on/off bus vs the SUV. Wouldn't there be a couple of steps for the bus but none for the SUV?
Jan 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM

We drove around Yellowstone and the Tetons for eight days last year (two days were for Cody), covering nearly every mile of mapped roads in the two parks, doing only hop-outs and brief photo-ops. My husband was using crutches and a wheelchair while his broken hip mended (bad timing, that tumble, just two months before the long-planned trip with nonrefundable plane tickets), so he was unable to go more than a short distance from any parking lot. Yet he still saw some of everything except the canyon, where the viewpoints were over rocky paths. He also skipped boardwalks where they were uneven or slippery, but was able to see many many of the thermal features. In some places he would wait at the car for 20 minutes or so while I walked to a viewpoint or around a geyser boardwalk. Even with those limitations, he still considers it the trip of a lifetime, to be surpassed only by a winter Yellowstone trip (if we manage that in coming years).

Search this Thread