Backroads hiking tour - Tetons/Yellowstone -Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2017, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backroads hiking tour - Tetons/Yellowstone -Opinions Please

Hi all
Repeat message as I meant to tag Wyoming--
I have used Fodors forums almost exclusively for all of my European trip planning and so appreciate the expert advice I've found here.
I am contemplating the Yellowstone/Tetons Backroads trip this June with my young adult son. We absolutely want to do a tour-based group and this seems perfect for us, with a day or two added on in Jackson Hole. Can anyone comment on this particular trip? I've been lucky enough to visit most of the national parks as a college student but this would be a first for my son. The other trip we'd consider is the Bryce/Zion tour but this one appeals to me --
Any input appreciated!
Thank you !
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:17 AM

This?
https://www.backroads.com/trips/MYTQ...ng-hiking-tour

I'm not adverse to tours-often do them myself these days, but this seems expensive for what you get.

I don't really enjoy driving, but my adult son and I did a driving trip to Jackson/Grand Teton/Yellowstone in Sept. We hiked (mostly ranger-led), and did a Snake River float, amoung other things. We agreed afterwards that a tour wouldn't have worked well in this area...some things really depend on weather and time of day for peak enjoyment.
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 09:14 AM

I would not do a tour to these places. Totally unnecessary. It is much better to drive and stop to hike where it suits you, the weather, the bear sitings etc. Just check with the rangers/visitors center before you go and buy bear spray when you get there. I have hiked these parks for 40 years and never had a problem.
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 10:48 AM

Agreed with above posters - it's just too easy to do this trip on your own. If you click on my name you'll see a trip report I did which includes tetons/yellowstone. The ONLY reason I'd want to use a tour guide is that booking rooms in Yellowstone is 1000% the best use of time and those reservations might be challenging to get (I'm not sure when you are planning on going but I assume summer of 2018). Otherwise it's just too darn easy. The rangers were all amazingly helpful when it came to doing some "off the beaten path" hikes, and I felt that by not being totally scheduled we could pick and chose areas of Yellowstone that we wanted to spend more time in after we got the overall lay of the land. We had a hike that was magical by Yellowstone lake one evening...my husband and son had another hike at 5 am where they got as far as a bison would let them...those moments can't happen when you're surrounded by 20 other hikers on a tour schedule.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi again-
I guess Im looking for more specific thoughts about Backroads in particular. I am aware that this is doable on our own (or at least was back in college). I will be taking this trip with my son for 6-7 days, we will be flying in from NY and neither of us drive really . I have never done an organized trip before, and always always do all my trip planning here, be it europe or US. Fodors people are the best.
These circumstances are unique-- my son will just be starting a PhD program, and we have a limited window of time, want to do this together as a first "adventure trip" and I so want him to see whatever of the national parks are available in this timeframe. YEAH-- THE HOTEL BOOKING PART IS GREAT!
The groups appear to be manageable in that they are no more than 15 or so I believe.
Before I start calling Backroads to discuss I was hoping for some firsthand experiences with the company, here or elsewhere in the US.
Thank you!