Ever split a stay between 2 or more hotels?

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever split a stay between 2 or more hotels?

Just wondering if anyone has ever splot their vacation between 2 or more hotels.

I'm not referring to the vacations that involve more than one city or a return before and after a cruise where this would be an obvious choice. I'm talking about where you can't decide between 2 and end up splitting your time between both. Is this a crazy thing to do?
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 11:15 AM

I've done it, but it doesn't usually have to do with not being able to make up my mind. In certain hotel loyalty programs where "stays" count differently than "nights", it can be worthwhile to mix it up and fill the squares for bonuses. But I think the idea has some merit when you are visiting an area that you might be inclined to return to. It provides the opportunity to experience different neighborhoods or properties. You can also give better advice to others who might be contemplating a visit to the same locale.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 11:56 AM

I also break my stays up, both to find a place I'd really like, and to save money. I travel light, always with only one bag, so it's not like I must repack my bag, and even if I did, so what?

I've spoken to people who have stayed at the same place even when they didn't like it much, "because" -- I say it's my vacation & I owe nothing to a hotel other than to pay for each day I stay, and I have no problem telling a hotel I'm leaving today, instead of Friday.

I go to Williamsburg & VaBeach often, and used to switch around and now I just immediately stay at the same places (Gov Spottswood in WB and Colonial Inn in VB).
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 11:59 AM

I must admit I have done this in Seattle--mainly to save a substancial amount of money. Pioneer Square area "old town" for a weekend rate and then moved to Edgewater on the bay for a Sun. --Thurs rate. Now I find this beyond my budget so I use Price line.Even though I am very uncomfortable with the suspense of not knowing where I am staying until i pay the money .
I do like the idea of experiencing different areas of a city and different properties..
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM
CF

We did this on our last trip to WDW. The first part of the trip was a business trip and was paid for us, the last 5 days were personal and we were paying so we moved to a cheaper property. That was a mistake tho. It was time consuming and after staying in a high end hotel, the Caribbean Beach just didn't cut it.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:36 PM

Did this last year but never meant to do it to the extent that we did. Were in New Orleans with a group of friends for Jazz Fest. Stayed in 4 different hotels over 6 nights. Definitely would not do it again. Was originally going to stay in the Hyatt the entire time. Between coming in early because of available flights and miscommunication between friends, we stayed at the Royal St. Charles, the Hyatt, the Monteleone, and the W.

Meant to stay at the Hyatt for the first 5 nights and then the W for the last night since we were staying an extra day. Just turned into a mess.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:17 PM

Yep! Several times...just because we want to experience to different styles. Stayed at Inn at Spanish Bay in Carmel for 2 nites then moved over to Highland Inn for 2 more nights, because each property is very different.
This 4th of July we will split our stay between Cypress Inn in Carmel, downtown and Highland Inn so we can experience being "in the town" and walk around to everything, plus Cypress Inn is pet friendly and we're taking our Yorkie w/us this time.
If you don't mind unpacking/packing twice, it really let's you become familiar with different properties and enjoy what they offer.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Once, in Marthas Vineyard and it was a waste of time, with the packing and moving and it also was a disappointment because the first place was nicer than the second.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:43 PM
dln

Nope. Too much trouble. Once we spread all our stuff around the hotel room and the bathroom--magazines, snacks, clothes, etc--I'll be darned if I'll pack up again just to move down the street. However, I research every place we go to the nth degree so we usually get what we expect. And if we like the place, we never leave without having sussed out a new place to stay the next time we visit.

The only time we ever stayed twice in the same place in the same location was in Seaside Florida. Got the same house two years in a row, and found out the magic only works the first year.

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:25 PM

I think it would be crazy, unless you are planning on a very long stay.