Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Not another Vegas hotel question...groan (please help)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dear husband surprised me this morning on my 40th birthday with tickets to Vegas in a few weeks. I haven't been in 11 years since I lived in LA and I'm quite excited about going. He hasn't however finalized the hotel so I need your help. We would like to find a place on the strip (since we don't have a car and want to be centrally located) and my only other request is for a nice pool area (to relax without the children for 4 days!). He's already done so much and I don't want to break the bank...any suggestions?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:35 AM

In order of most expensive to least:

Mirage, Venetian & Bellagio.

The Mandalay Bay has a man made beach and wave pool, but is not in the best location since it's at the very end of the srip. In cooler weather its not such a big deal, but when temps are over 100, you don't really want to walk much.

I suggest the Mirage for it's location and incredible pool area. Their rooms have also been recently redone and are very nice.

The Venetion's standard room is a large suite, although I have never stayed there, from their website and what I have read here, you really can't go wrong, especially at the discount rate.

The Bellagio is rated very highly and I believe it's the only true luxery hotel in Vegas.

Since you will be going in summer, you should be able to get a really good deal. The Mirage sent me an E-mail advertising rooms for 89.00, The Venetian has a deal for 119.00, I don't know about summer specials at the Bellagio.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Oops! I meant in order of LEAST expensive to MOST expensive!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:40 AM

I think the prior poster meant least to most expensive.

If you want to relax without kids, and I assume you mean other people's, as well, Mirage may have more kids than say Bellagio. Another option that is economical and convieniently located is the Monte Carlo. It is definately more low key than the other hotels, which isn't a bad thing, but you probably won't have a ton of kids at the pool.

Caesar's also has a really nice pool area. Not sure how it is on rate.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Check out The Flamingo. We've stayed in other places (Mirage, MGM) but found this to be the best for us.

Its centrally located (don't need a car), the best pool (do a search here) and only $55 a night this summer (ask for Pool Party rate).

Yes, there will be kids. There will be kids everywhere. Ours will be there too, but they're quite cool (smile) as we'll be there for two nights this July, ourselves.

Happy birthday!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Hi Karen!
I am often treated to a birthday celebration in Las Vegas and it is quite fun!
We now stay at the Bellagio and I highly recommend it. Children are kept at a minimun and the 5 pools are lovely. The restaurants are all pretty good, you would hardly need to leave the hotel!
The rooms are amazingly comfortable, very quiet, huge, I could live in the bathroom~
Whatever view you get will be fine, at night the Strip is especially nice to see but you don't have to go for the extra cost.
Have dinner or drinks at the Voodoo Lounge in the Rio Hotel and you can see the entire city of Las Vegas !
You won't need a car~
Happy Birthday
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM

My choice would be Bellagio, centrally located, romantic, adult friendly pools, nice rooms.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your quick replies...I'll start checking them out. Now, what's the best way to get the best rates, via phone or on the web?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:05 AM

For the Bellagio-check on the web first then call the hotel .. DO mention it is a Birthday trip..they will do small things that are celebratory-also do the same when booking the restaurants, and try to do that now so you can get tables in the places you really want eat.
Try to have lunch at Olives out on the terrace, that is always a treat and not very $$ as you can split a wonderful flatbread pizza and a salad.
Also, Spago is nice for lunch inside to be more private, "outside" if you want to watch the parade of people walking through the Forums.
Be sure to get a Players Card at the hotel, use it every time you put a nicket or a dollar in the slots .. they add up and you get comps from the hotel for it.
Good luck!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Look at that! I invented new money..."a nicket" meaning a nickel~
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:31 AM

For centrally located hotels you can't go wrong with either Bellagio or Venetian. For something more moderately priced the Harrahs and Flamingo, which are on the same block as Bellagio and Venetian, are also nice.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:54 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Bellagio for our 40th. It was the perfect hotel without kids. Everything is first class and their buffet is expensive but well worth it. The best we had. Also pay the extra to get a room facing the fountains. It is SO worth it. Although if you ask nicely, they might be able to get you one without paying extra. Almost the entire side of the room is a big picture window. You can pull your chairs in front of it while you're wearing the nice robes they give you to enjoy, turn the stereo to a certain channel, and hear the music in your room as you watch the fountain show. It is so romantic! And the beds are so comfortable. Big down comforters. It is definitely my first choice, although more expensive. Mirage would be my second choice, not so much for rooms but for the pool area.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Getting the best rates in Vegas can be tricky. Check all the travel search engine websites including, vegas.com, vegasfreedom.com, expedia, etc. Also, check the individual hotel websites. And, finally, call the front desk. The rates can even differ depending on who you get at the front desk. They were running a special once at Aladdin and you had to make a few calls to finally get someone who would give you the special. Crazy! The closer to the date, the more advantageous the individual hotel websites will be as they usually put together package deals when they are undersold. You can try this code at Bellagio and see if it still works, the rate includes a fountainview upgrade:

C139EMAIL
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Must agree with Loki; "time spent in reconaisance is seldom wasted". Rates in Las Vegas are constantly changing, as the "yield management software" works it's magic.
That said: Bellagio is usually tops on the quality/price curve; the rooms in Venitian are fabulous if you can get a really good deal; Ceasars has a certain "true Vegas experience" about it and should be considered if the price is right; Monte Carlo has a great position, while lower down the evolutionary scale than the others it is probably the most underated/good value property on the strip.
Happy Birthday, have a great time, Greybeard
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Once again my thanks to everyone with great info. I spent a good chunk of my morning making calls...unfortunately, reasonable rooms at Bellagio, Venetian and Mirage are not available for most of my stay due to some sort of convention (isn't that standard in Vegas?). However, Rockin rep's review of the Flamingo peaked my interest so I checked that out. The 5 pool idea sounded nice and the $55 room rate sounded too good to be true considering the central location. We did book this but I realize the hotel is not one of the newer ones and would love to hear input from others about their experiences here...also, more recommendations for restaurants would be great (last time I was in Vegas was 11 years ago when I was in the travel industry, earning peanuts and not able to really have fun).
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:09 PM

My guess is that you will not be able to relax at the pool at Flamingo, and you will be leaving your kids behind to deal with everyone else's kids running wild at Flamingo. I'm not sure if it's true but someone said that Flamingo allows the public to access the pool so even the locals can drop their kids off in the summertime.

The largest convention in June/July is only 35,000 which I wouldn't think would have that great an impact but if they say that it does...

I would go somewhere else especially for a special occascion. I found vegas.com to have the cheapest rates for Caesars at certain times though it's still pricy. How about Paris? I haven't been to their pool but rates are usually reasonable. TI has been pretty cheap lately though the pool is so-so. The pool at Flamingo is definitely nice but I don't think "relaxing". Some of the rooms are pretty beat, some are OK. If you get a room you don't like, don't hesitate to ask to be switched.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:13 PM

check Mandalay Bay then. They have great pools and it is new. Somehow I just think you might like it better there than the Flamingo~but then that just might be me
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Try the Venetian. They're offering outstanding rates right now and have the largest rooms. Some people even consider it romantic! BLAH! Vegas? U could always try priceline.

>)
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Mandalay Bay os not bad, however it is at the far south end of the strip. It is not centrally located.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:57 PM

I agree, Mandalay Bay (though very, very nice) is too far south. To be centrally located I recommend Mirage, Flamingo, Caesars, Bellagio, Venetian, or Bally's. Paris is nice too (but im not sure about their pool area).

Depending on the time of year, Flamingo may be your best bet. If it is after school starts, there wont be many kids and the pool area is wonderful and the hotel is very affordable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -