Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London:Central Park Hotel or the Caesar Hotel??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am travelling to London in the next few weeks and wonder if anyone has any knowledge of/experience with either of these hotels. (Both are located in the "Bayswater" area)

Cleanliness? Safe neighbourhood? or any other pertinent info.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:43 PM

I don't have anything specific to say about either of these hotels - have you checked on tripadvisor.com? However generally I do not like the Bayswater area - having stayed there one night I have avoided it ever since.
It's convenient enough to things but just a little more rundown-feeling than the areas I prefer. But I'm sure some will disagree with me.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:25 PM

I tend to agree w/ taggie. Bayswater/Paddington is not near any sites to speak of (except Hyde Park/Kens Gardens of course). Its main claim to fame is an abundance of inexpensive B&Bs and small hotels. But for the same money you can usually find just as good of rooms in more convenient locations (Victoria, Russell Square, South Kens, etc).

There are a few nice hotels right on Bayswater Road near the Lancaster Gate tube station -- but they are not cheap and for the money I'd still rather stay elsewhere.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Firstly, I wouldn't say it's that bad if you are paying a very low price. However, it'd be better if you'd advise your budget as I'd like to be able to suggest some alternatives.

As an area, it has high property prices, it's not dumpy, it's not my style, but it's not rough! It's more central than Victoria where so many of your choose to stay!
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

m kingdom2,

thanks for response.

my budget is roughly 50-55 pounds daily
rate.

am concerned about area & locale...would really appreciate any
suggested alternatives in that range.
first vist...want to be close to city
attractions & trasnportation.
thanks for any help you might offer. times is of the essence.

margola
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Please note that I'm not making specific recommendations for the properties, but you will be fine staying in that area. Your budget is very, very low, so Bayswater will be an excellent compromise situation.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Not to be repetitive (but I will be), Priceline might get you a 4* hotel for that price. See http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 04:42 PM

I stayed across the street from the Central Park Hotel a couple of years ago. So I don't know anything about the hotel itself but I liked the area. Five minute walk from two diffrent tube stations on convenient lines. Queensway is a busy street a couple of blocks away and it has lots of inexpensive places to eat. Whitley's shopping area is there (Marks and Spencer, etc). Kensington Garden is half a block from the hotel. I've opted to stay in the same area for my visit to London (March) because I do like that area. The Central Park was kind of ugly modern from the outside but looked nice enough.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 10:32 AM

Britain's major national newspapers rarely discuss run of the mill London hotels: they assume all their readers live in London anyway.

But today's The Sunday Times - the most-read quality paper - carries a horrid mini-review of The Caesar, together with the claim that most coverage of it on Trip Advisor is equally negative.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:08 PM

I read a trip report last year on the AOL London board from a traveler who stayed at the Central Park Hotel (booked thru a British Airways package deal) and she was very disappointed in the hotel.