Reload this Page >

Events during July, brunch buffets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Amy

Will be in NYC July 26 through Aug 1. Can anybody tell me about special events like Mostly Mozart festival, etc? Have you seen any reviews of brunch buffets or can you recommend any? Has anyone stayed at the Best Western President? If so, how was it? Is it in a good location, and is it nice? And one last question--- (you might think this sounds stupid), but-----do you have a mosquito problem in New York? Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Caitlin

Really no mosquito problem in Manhattan. For info on Mostly Mozart and other Lincoln Center events (many free), go to www.lincolncenter.org. For info on free concerts in Central Park, go to www.summerstage.org.

Most of the buffet brunches are around $50-55. The Plaza has very good food, wide variety, and good service. The setting is the brocade and palm trees you've seen in the movies. Cafe Botanica in the Essex House has a buffet for appetizers and desserts and you choose an entree; it includes a glass of champagne. The entrees are fine, and the buffet sections are very good. The setting is lovely, like being in a garden, with trellises, fountain, flowers everywhere, very tranquil. Thr Rhiga Royal has their brunch in a high-floor penthouse

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Caitlin

Sorry...hit post button by mistake!

As I was saying...the Rhiga Royal has their brunch in a high-floor penthouse, which is touted for its view, but if you aren't right by the window, you don't see much. Also, the decor is standard hotel banquet hall, and the food lags behind the two I mentioned above. I haven't been yet to Peacock Alley at the Waldorf, but people tell me it's fabulous, food-wise; it's $55, and for $69 you also get unlimited, good-quality champagne. Haven't been to the Rainbow Room since the concession changed hands, but the view there is certainly good.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Howard

By "brunch buffet," do you mean the expensive type, as dicussed most competently by Caitlin? Or, are you looking for something less expensive?
If it's the latter, you certainly have a wide choice of sites in Soho, the Village, Upper East Side, Upper West Side and other areas of the city.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Amy

Would love to hear about the other locations--especially if you have personal experience with any of them.
Would like to know what they serve and the price.
Thanks a lot.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Howard

Amy, I'm still not looking for what you want. How about a price range? You can have an very good brunch (as opposed to a buffet brunch) for as little as $8-10 in the neighborhoods I mentioned. And, you can go as high as the places Caitlin mentioned. Inbetween there is Sarabeth's Kitchen (two uptown sites), which many consider the best in town.
Exactly what are you looking for?

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Howard

Ooops, that first sentence should read: "I'm still not sure exactly what you're looking for." Sorry.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Amy

Would love to find a buttet with really good food, lots of choices of entrees, salads,etc. The price doesn't matter all that much, but the quality of the food does! ( We had a Sunday buffet on the Queen Mary at Long Beach, Calif. several years ago. It was supposed to be outstandong, but the food was tasteless--a Big disappointment). Found out that Peacock Alley is closed for the summer, so that's out. Amy other ideas?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Howard

Two excellent brunch places (well, actually three since one recommendation has two locations):
1. Sarabeth's at either Madison Avenue between 92nd & 93rd Streets or on Amsterdam Avenue between 80th & 81st Streets. They don't take reservations, and you may have to wait, but it's worth it.
2.Zoe on Prince Street, between Broadway & Mercer St., in Soho. Definitely need reservations (212-966-6722). A bonus about this place is that you can also spend time before and after walking around Soho, one of our favorite NYC areas.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Caitlin

Amy, just to clarify, the places Howard mentioned are not buffets. IMO, the Plaza always has excellent quality and variety, so absent Peacock Alley, that would be my recommendation for best buffet brunch.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Amy

Is The Fairmont Plaza near Central Park "the Plaza" you're talking about? I called to get information and was informed that the early seating(no alcohol) is $59, and the later seating(with alcohol) is $75. Has anyone been there lately, and if so, was it worth it?

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Howard

Caitlin is correct about the restaurants I recommended for brunch. My apologies for the confusion.
Amy, do you really want to spend that much for a brunch, especially in New York, where you would have such a variety of great choices for dinner at that price?

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 11:23 AM
Caitlin

If you're set on a buffet, a less expensive alternative which I have not tried, but have heard good things about, is the brunch at the restaurant Aquavit, which I believe is around $35. Aquavit is a Scandinavian restaurant, but with an international flavor, in a dramatic setting (one whole wall is a waterfall), that gets three-star reviews. I have not been to the Plaza brunch in several years.