Reload this Page >

Nashville fun places

Search

Nashville fun places

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:01 AM
jshaw

Nashville fun places

Going to Nashville for 4 days. What are the fun things to do and inexpensive places to stay.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:35 AM
S

Don't know about inexpensive places to stay. Go downtown to Broad Street - that's where a lot of Music stuff is happening. Then there's the Ryman Auditorium, the Grand Ole Opry, the Opryland Hotel, a riverboat dinner cruise, etc. A day trip could include a trip to the Jack Daniels Distillery.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:30 AM
musiccityman

jshaw,

I live in Nashville and will be glad to offer you some suggestions. If you tell me when you are going to be in town, I will check to see what music shows are going to be happening at that time. As you would expect, there is plenty of excellent live music in Nashville, and not just country as some people think.

As for sites to see, I would also recommend the Opryland Hotel(a tourist attraction in itself with indoor gardens, simulated river with boat rides, etc.). Through the end of the summer, Opryland Hotel is hosting a very good exhibit of Titanic artifacts if you are interested in that. If you are interested in shopping, there is a huge mall called Opry Mills next to Opryland Hotel with some several interesting and different stores. This mall also has an IMAX theater.

As for downtown sites, S has the right area but got the street name wrong. There is no Broad Street in Nashville. He is referring to the Broadway/Second Avenue area. This is where you will find several classic honky-tonk bars, touristy restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe' and Planet Hollywood, and several other restaurants as well.

The new state-of-the-art Country Music Hall of Fame just opened downtown as well. Even if you are not a big country music fan, I think you will find it interesting. The historic Ryman Auditorium(original home of the Grand Ole Opry) is in this area too and is available for tours. If you are into art, the Frist Center for the Arts, a very nice museum, just opened recently downtown.

As for places to stay, I am not sure what you consider inexpensive, but Nashville has plenty of reasonably priced motels/hotels.

If you have other questions, just post them and I will try to help.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Tina

Well if you are looking for fun things to do at night, you might want to consider the Wildhorse Saloon or Grand Central station. They are both located on 2nd Avenue in downtown Nashville. You can read more about the Wildhorse at their website at www.wildhorsesaloon.com This is a very large and very nice dance club. They sometimes have live music. I would highly recommend this place. Grand Central Station is a lot of fun too, they have several different floors. One floor has live music, one floor has karaoke, one floor has a dance floor with the latest music playing and I think one floor plays country music.
Another option you might like is what is called Dancin' in the District. This is where they have live music on Thursday starting at 6:30 p.m. It is a free event. Dancin in the District takes place at Riverfront Park which is located on 1st Avenue.You can check that out on their website at www.dancininthedistrict.com
S had also mentioned a daytrip to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniels Distillery. I live very close to Lynchburg and just so you know it is about 2 hours away from Nashville.
Hope this info. helps!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 10:11 AM
PostGirl

Fun things to do are definitely to see a great live band or something at a small bar/venue. Try www.nashville.citysearch.com and you'll see what's going on there. Try www.tennessean.com too. Thursday nights is "Dancing in the District" downtown, a free concert right on the River (by 2nd and Broadway). Eat out at non-chain restaurants on West End or in Hillsboro Village (near Vandy). An inexpensive and nice place to stay is Wilson Inn (near Opryland) for about $50-or-so a night, if you have a car. Like antiques? Tons of antique stores too.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 08:31 AM
david

dear jshaw, please rethink your trip to nashville. if the Good Lord was going to give the earth an enima , he would stick it in music city.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 08:36 AM
musiccityman

David,

Hey loser - very funny. Do you live in Memphis by chance?

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Karen

Hi - I accompanied my hubby on a business trip to Nashville earlier this year for 3 days. We are not country music fans, but did enjoy the visiting Opryland Hotel and Bass World (or something like that!) at the nearby mall. We live in the Finger Lakes region of CNY where there are lots of fishermen, but I have never seen so many bass boats and pick-up trucks in my life! I drove up to Mammouth Caves Natl Park in KY one day - well worth the under 2 hours trip (each way). Also enjoyed touring the Hermitage, President Andrew Jackson's plantation. Interesting local history and an archeologic dig going on of slave quarters. It was real easy to find, just a little east of town. I'm not knocking the area, but we added Nashville to our "2 Day Town" list: after the 2nd day I was kinda bored and couldn't really find anything new to do (hence the trip to Mamouth Caves).

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 11:50 AM
southerner

Karen - Syracuse,NY is on my "0 day town" list. If you get "kinda bored" after two days in Nashville, Syracuse must be pure hell for you.