Royal Kona Resort - Big Island

Apr 27th, 2001, 05:57 AM
ben menasha

Royal Kona Resort - Big Island

We have the opportunity to spend a week at the royal Kona Resort in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island in August. Does anyone know anything about the resort?

Thanks
Ben Menasha

Apr 28th, 2001, 10:25 AM
dave

Re. Royal Kona Resort,We have stayed at this hotel several times since 1985 when it was a hilton.the location ie ideal and the view from the restaurant and bar is beautiful.the hotel has been allowed to run down,but if the price was right i would not hesitate to stay there again. hope this helps.

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:02 PM
mc\\

I spent my honeymoon there a few years ago and the value was tremendous. Great view, walk to great Kona shops, restaurants, water sports, etc. Ask for a corner ocean front room in the beach building. The wrap around balcony is gigantic and the views are postcard perfect. We wanted to be oceanfront but not pay the Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea, Hapuna Resort prices (fabulous resorts but very expensive). At the Royal Kona we got a large corner ocean front room for about $200 a night with rental car and breakfast. The other hotels mentioned are more like $300 a night for the garden view. The coy pond in the lobby of the beach building is pretty neat. The hotel is probably in the category of

Apr 29th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Doe

Hotel not a very nice place anymore was there last April and it was a DUMP then.
If you don't care,be careful of the corner king first floor of the beach building bums can walk up on your lani anytime they feel like it from the street believe me I know first hand.You can find other places nicer and with people who care about your safety.Have a nice trip.I love the big island,but would not stay there again for free!!!!
Roy

May 1st, 2001, 11:53 AM
Beth

My husband and I stayed last year and it wasn't the most luxurious but the price was great ($75 a night). It is close to everything in Kona. The view is nice and the staff was pleasant.

Jul 1st, 2001, 12:43 PM
henry

We stayed there a couple of years ago and while it is a nice property it is pretty run down. The housekeeping was poor and the rooms were in need of paint, carpets etc. But if that is OK with you then it is certainly well priced.

Search this Thread