Search

Evenings in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evenings in Atlanta

I know, I know... research and then get back to you.

Usually I never go anywhere without reading, but this is a business trip and I've been pretty busy lately. What I'd like to know is anyone could tell me if there are any good historic areas and street life in Atlanta in the early evenings? Something to do between 5pm to dark? I'm not really a museum person unless it's got a really unusual or high end collection and not a shopper.

What I do enjoy is looking for places to stroll around, take some photos of interesting things, people watch. Last month in Denver, I drove out to Garden of the Gods and Red Rocks for photos, and into old Littleton and enjoyed that, if that gives any indication.

Anyone wish to recommend some things? I'll be staying on the north side, but have a car.

Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Well, it depends on how far north you are staying. Atlanta traffic is horrendous, so you aren't going to get far between 5 and 7 pm.

For people watching and dinner, you may want to try the Virgina-Highland area or Little 5 Points.

Decatur could be a possiblity via Marta.

The Atlanta History Center offers walking tours on weekends through Druid Hills (Driving Miss Daisy), and the more historic neighborhoods. Maybe they have some self-guided info.

For scenic, Stone Mountain Park may interest you - good photo opps. It's going to be hard to get there from the north side at 5 though.

I'm pretty much stumped. If you wanted to drive north (traffic will be bad) you could visit the small mountain town of Dahlonega where gold was first discovered in Georgia. Nice little scenic town - although not a lot to do.

Along those lines (if you don't mind driving back after dark) there are several state parks in the mountains about an hour (maybe a bit more) away. Amicalola Falls would be a very scenic photo opportunity.
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Starrsville, thank you so much for the suggestions. I don't mind driving back after dark - I did the same in Denver, as I was about an hour away in Co. Springs (the best light for photos are just before sundown anyway).

I just had another look and it appears that the actual address for the offices and hotel are actually in the south end of Marietta, near I-75, so pretty far north from what I'm seeing. It sure would be nice if, for once, these offices weren't off in a suburban office park somewhere...

Again, thanks for your time and help and I'll check out your recommendations.
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:49 AM

If you're in Marietta, you could visit the Kennesaw Mountain State Park. Historic Civil War Battlefield. Somewhere out there (forgive me, my memory is asleep) is the train from The Great Train Robbery, too. It was a true story.

I lived in Marietta for five years.
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:55 AM

If there is a conveninet MARTA rail station you could take the train downtown (South to Five Points station & changes to West line to first station: GWCC, GA Dome, CNN Center, Philips Arena) and visit Centenial Park. In addition to the main Olympic Rings fountains, there are other cascading pools throughout the park.

Lots of people-watching there, and several good choices for dinner within a couple blocks walk: McCormick & Schmick's and Jocks & Jills (sportsbar) both in CNN Center, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Embassy Suites, Ted's Montana Grill a block beyond The Tabernacle on the corner of Spring & Luckie Sts., and there was a Chin Chin on the Marietta St. side of the CNN Parking Garage but I think it may have closed.

If you prefer to drive in, there is metered street parking as well as several pay lots and garages. Pricing at the lots and garages is dependent on activity at Georgia World Congress Center, Georgia Dome, Philips Arena, and The Tabernacle.
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:01 AM

Marietta has a nice little town square and there is Civil War history in the area.

If you can get on the road by 4:30 you will have a bit of a head start on traffic.

If you don't mind driving back at night, I'd shoot up I-75 towards Chattanooga. Lookout Mountain is beautiful and scenic - great photo opps. "See 7 states" is the motto of Rock City up there.

There's a big Civil War battlefield nearby.

For sightseeing, the aquarium in Chattanooga is very nice if you are interested. It takes a different approach - not salt water fish, but a cross section of the Chattahoochee river as it makes its way from the mountains to the sea.

The drive would be about an hour and a half without traffic, but a straight shot on the interstate all the way. I'll put my thinking cap on and try to think of some other ideas.

If you wait for traffic to clear a bit, you can shoot straight down into Atlanta without much problem. But, that stretch of I-75 is one of the worst traffic areas in Atlanta (400 being the other terrible traffic area).
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:13 AM

Oops, sorry - I was composing before I saw that you will be in Cobb County - no MARTA here, and starrsville and beentheretwice are right about the Square and Kennesaw Mountain in Marietta.

If you do choose to drive downtown, you'll be going against traffic most of the way. In the late afternoons it is about a 30 minute drive.

Old May 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM

Well, scratch 30 minutes - from I-75 near I-285 its probably more like 15-20 minutes. (I forgot to subtract the time from home to I-75 )
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. This should give me a bit more to do. It always seems such a bad idea to be someplace and sit in a hotel room.

Very interested in the train and will check that out. Also Dahlonega looks very interesting on their community website. Also started thinking that Athens might be interesting and it's a place I've never been.

Chattanooga also - I hadn't considered driving that way. I was at Rock City yearrrrs ago, as a kid and remember it being full of various views. Since I live in Tennessee now (other end), you think I'd have thought of that. Never thought about how close Atlanta was to that end of TN.

And I'll check out those restaurants recs. Have to go downtown area at least once!

Thanks again.