Search

Euros in the US.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euros in the US.

I have quite a few euros left from our last Europe trip, can I use them to pay for goods and services in the US, can I tip using the euro coins ? I don't really want to exchange them for US dollars as the rate is so poor.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Almost nobody will take them. A few stores that are European-oriented might (H&M is one of them). If you don't like the exchange rate, then save them until you do, or for your next trip.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Also, if you DO use them "for goods and services" in the US, you'll be getting an even worse exchange rate than you would get from a bank if you exchanged them there.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I think you question is hysterically funny if you think about it.
Let's say you have $100 euro and want to convert them to dollars at a bank or exchange. You'll probably get something like $120 US dollars for the 100 euro. (actual value today of 100 euro is 124 dollars).
If you go into a store and buy something that costs $120 US dollars, if they would accept it or know what they were doing, they'd probably charge you about 110 euro.
So what are you trying to accomplish again?
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Most banks will not even accept foreign coins for exchange, at any rate. Agree with above poster, unless we are talking thousands of dollars, the exchange rate or any fees are really small in actual money. Or are you saying that the dollar is weak and you wish it were better - me too.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:09 AM

No - you cannot spend euros in the US. I can;t imagine anyone would take them. Even most local banks won;t change them - why would a store take them? What would they do with them?

Even here in NYC I have had tourists complain that there were so few places to change euros - since the local banks won't - only the major branches - or the few bureaux de changes. (There's a mostly euro hostel not far from my Citibank and they're always amazed it won;t change for them - and I've had to tell a couple of people that yes- they do need to go to a major branch to do it. The small local branches just don;t offer that facility.)

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:09 AM

I'm sorry. I got a phone call and posted without really making myself clear.

The reason I thought this question was funny is that the usual complaint is most people are upset when they only get about 80 euro for a dollar. It seems many people feel a dollar and a euro should be equal, so when they aren't getting many euros for each dollar, they feel "cheated". And that's what would be happening if you were looking to exchange dollars for euros -- but you're doing it the other way around. In your case, you already have the euros, which due to the bad exchange rate means they're worth a lot more dollars than usual. So you get MORE dollars for each euro than you would have a few years ago.

Do you want the exchange rate to improve in favor of the dollar and THEN exhange them? Why? If so, then you would get fewer dollars for your euro, not more!!! Get it? The higher in value the euro is in relation to the dollar (like it is right now) then the more valuable they are when exchanging them for dollars.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I have a hunch (at least I hope so) this post is a send up. Maybe he saw the thread over on the Europe board from the poor deluded lady asking about using US$ in London that got a TON of responses.

If it is for real - Marko -- you think the €/$ exchange rate is bad, just try using those € in the States. Whatever you do with them you will lose money.

Keep them for your next trip or sell them at a discount to a friend traveling to Europe.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:31 AM

There really are stupid questions, in spite of the old cliche.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM
P_M

This sounds like a joke, but I will answer anyway in case it will help someone else. A few times I have bought euro coins from friends or acquaintences who have just returned from Europe and didn't realize coins can't be exchanged. If you know someone planning a trip to Europe, then ask them if they would like to buy your coins for a good rate. Either that or save them for your next trip.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Going along with P_M's thought, here is another idea.

You have some Euro's. You have a family member or good friend going to Europe.

Put some of the Euro's inside a "Happy a happy vacation" card with a note asking them to treat themselves to a bottle of wine or gelato or whatever.

I had a friend give me a card like this and I have always treasured the loving thought.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Guys it was a touch of whimsey, partially inspired by the lady on the europe section !! Thank you to the earnest folk who replied. Exchange rates can be a real pain in the A., do you stock up on currency at what you perceive as a good rate before you leave or do you take your chances out of an ATM at your destination. I have been caught both ways and now I split it 50/50, averaging my stockbroker calls it !
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM
P_M

Hey, LoveItaly, what a nice idea!!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

By the way, PM, that is a great idea, we have some friends who will be travelling to France for their honeymoon in three weeks, I think I have just decided upon their wedding present !!!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Yeah well P_M, what would be a better idea is if I proofread my post!

Guess you know I meant to type "Have a Happy Vacation".

The friend that did this really touched my heart....had not forgot about it but Marko's thread made me think how we all seem to come home from Europe with money and than what do we do with it.

Marko, the euros would make a fantastic wedding present IMO!!!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Love italy, isn't it funny I read your post and didn't notice it !! Then I read mine and gave the credit for the idea to P-M sorry !!!! Its amazing how much redundancy there is in language that allows us to miss things and still get the idea across ! I wonder if we can get fodors to include spell check ??
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Hey Marko, never mind a spellcheck, what I could use is a typist. I never typed until I got a computer Feb. 1998.
I always had secretaries doing all the typing, and they did an excellent job.
But here I am, trying to pretend that I am a great typist, but obviously I am not. I am sure many Fodorite's cringe at my post, LOL.

Anyway, a wedding present of Euro for a wedding couple going to Europe on their honeymoon sounds wonderful to me! Best wishes.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:36 AM
P_M

I've just tuned in this morning, and it is indeed LoveItaly who deserves kudos for the idea of giving euros to a friend who is going to Europe. What a lovely idea.

But if it's someone you just don't like all that much, then go with my idea of selling euros to them at a good rate