Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - hoping a local or someone who has recently stayed at the Estancia can offer me some advice. We are staying the weekend in the San Diego area August 13-15 and I currently have reservations on hold for standard rooms at both the Radisson in La Jolla ($169 a night) and the new Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa (grand opening special $219 includes buffet breakfast). Has anyone seen the new Estancia? It opened just 4 weeks ago and I'm wondering if it's still under construction, hence the great rate. Location wise, it looks better than the Radisson. We are renting a car - parking is free at the Radisson but $15 a day at the Estancia. Any place else with rooms under $300 a night seems to be booked. Any advice? Thanks.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Anyone have any experience here since then? We're thinking of staying here for a couple of nights at the end of the month
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:58 AM

can't help you but I too have looked at this place online & wondered about it.

I do recall a positive travel article about it in this summer's LA Times...

check tripadvisor.com if you haven't already...
Maybe someone out there can help you...
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Just so you know suncor, it's not right in downtown La Jolla. As I recall it's closer to the Lodge at Torrey Pines. If you're going to have a car and don't mind having to drive, it's getting rave reviews on tripadvisor
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the info. We will have a car, and were planning on driving to San Diego one day. I hadn't thought about having to drive into La Jolla as well. We're just looking for someplace relaxing at the end of our roadtrip somewhere in or near San Diego. I saw the good reviews on tripadvisor, but since it's pretty new and there weren't that many, I thought I'd seek some more opinions. The price is certainly right with their current online special. We're willing to spend a little for a nice place, though we can't afford somethign like the Lodge at Torrey Pines or a Ritz or something. Other suggestions? Thanks.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:58 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there if you don't mind not being in downtown La Jolla. The reviews sound great and it sounds like a "destination" (ie rest.etc. on the property). I don't think there's a place IN downtown La Jolla that would be as nice at that price.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:05 AM

A technicality-- when you're in La Jolla, you are in San Diego. It's a ritzy neighborhood of the city. And downtown SD is maybe 15 minutes down I-5 from LJ, so it's not a horrible journey to get there.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Walked through the Estancia this weekend, doing research on where to stay for an anniversary getaway. The architecture of this hotel is really lovely. Nicely done Spanish style with beautifully landscaped courtyards, and a very pretty pool area.

The rooms are nice, but small. Nothing really special, but absolutely nothing wrong with them either. The suites are bigger, but I wouldn't think they're worth the extra money...nothing special about them.

There is a free-standing sports bar and outdoor fireplace on the patio that is incredibly cute. I'd love to drink a margarita there on a nice day!

This area of La Jolla is just across from UCSD. The area is a little sterile, although the hotel is great, it's not an area overall that appeals to me...

But what a cute hotel!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM

So was the "cute" hotel enough to outweigh the area not being appealing or will you stay elsewhere for you anniversary?
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:43 PM

I guess I decided I like the "feel" of LA more than the "feel" of La Jolla!

I also checked out the Lodge at Torrey Pines and the Rancho Valencia. Those places are both great in their own ways, too, but again, not crazy about the area...especially Rancho Santa Fe where the Valencia is...Talk about a conservative, country club feel! Just not for me, I guess...