Yankees Spring Training Advice Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I know . . . the seson has just ended. But my beau has decided that he needs to have another dose of Yankees asap - and that we should go to Tampa to see spring training. We've never done this before - and I know nothing about it. All I've learned so far is that the schedules haven;t been announced yet, we can;t get tickets til January, and some basic info on where it;'s happening.

Can anybody who's done this before provide some background/tips - so we can organize this as efficiently as possible? Or reco a website with more info (the Yankees/MLB sites have little)?

Also, we are looking for a nifty place to stay - possibly a resort - near Tampa. I have only been there before on business - to the standard hotels downtown - and they're nothing to write home about. I will start looking for hotel tomorrow - but thought someone who had already done this migh have some good persepctive on what - if anything - is nearby.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Spring training is great. Legends Field is really wonderful. The weather is good, the people are happy, it is reallly the BEST. And you can always get a ticket, seems like there's just so many games that there's plenty of tickets to go around. To tell the truth I don't think I've ever bought one ahead of time, but I suggest that you do (I live about ten minutes from legends field so no big deal for me).

I can only complain about the hot dogs. Waaaaay tooo expensive and not too good.

There's plenty of great places. If you're coming from NY though I'd stay at the beach, no? The Don CeSar is nice. If you want a classy place nearby (oh, oooooolive!), the Grand Hyatt Westshore is wonderful And anything on Rocky Point and along the Causeway seems to be making people happy. The Embassy Suites Westshore, the Wyndham on Kennedy at W. Shore. The La Quita, Boy Scout is right across from the airport. What's your fancy?

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:34 AM

In regards to people being happy at Yankees spring training - they will be far happy if you go to Red Sox Spring Training instead.

Also, last year Spring Training Yankees-RedSox tickets were actually being scalped for a lot of money - but as long as you do not care about specific opponent, you should be fine in the ticket area.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Well, we don;t have season tickets - so we're used to doing e-bay or scalpers - that's really the only way to get decent seats if you don;t have season tickets. And I'm thinking they can't be as much as in the regular season. We definitely want to see the Red Sox - as well as whatever other games we can get in a 5/6 day period.

I'll start checking the hotels today - a beach resort sounds like the best choice - looking for something comfy/upscale.

Does anyone have other special tips - I know the beau would like to meet some of the players if possible.

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Wow... this sounds like a very fun idea! I never thought about doing this. I'm going to mention it my Yankee fan/fiance this evening!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:53 AM

I opened this thread thinking George Steinbrenner was looking for advice. He's gonna need all the help he can get!! Go Sox!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 07:21 PM

It is great!

My experience:
Some games are sold out. But usually you can find one at the gate by some one with an extra etc.

However, when tickets go on sale , don't wait....take what you can get. There really aren't any bad seats at spring training games(stadiums are much smaller)

A lot of retired players attend spring training...so you will see lots of familar faces.

Suggestion on budget/moderate hotel - but location is good....Microtel.
5405 N. Church Ave 813-739-2244
It is about a 1 1/2 up Dale Mabry (the street Legend Field is locted)@ Hillsborough Ave.

You have to eat breakfast @MOM'S PLACE
4816 N Dale Mabry 813-875-2670.
If the team is in town for a game, you may be lucky to see one or two here.

Sam Seltzer Steak House is another watering hole. Pretty good food, and no telling who you might see there either.

I especially like the airport, easy to get around.

Within two hours drive there are several other ball parks to visit....

Astros, Reds, Phillies, Indians, Pirates, Tigers etc.

Sun, Fun, and Baseball....how can you hate it!!!

You'll have a great time.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 07:27 PM
gyppielou

Practice, practice, practice!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM

circa2 is right. There really are no bad seats at Legends Field. It's a really great venue for a game.

And Mom's Place is a great place for breakfast. The players have their pictures on the walls. It's casual, down-home cooking. Great lunch, cheap, too. Also, go to dinner at Malio's (call for reservations). You're likely to see George there as well. An above-average steak house.

The Gulf is 30 minutes away. Stay at the Don Cesar. Or try any hotels at the Rocky Point area in Tampa. They have a sand beach at the back of the bay, it's good for taking in the sun, tiki bars, OK seafood restaurants. It would be convenient if you're just coming into town for the game. A local favorite (next to Malio's) is the Tahitian Inn. These places will keep you close to the stadium.

Tampa is a fun town. Downtown seems to be having a renaissance with 4000 residential condo units going up. Be sure to check out Ybor City, it gets hopping after 10.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good info. We're trying to decide between the Don Cesar and the Grand Hyatt. Has anybody stayed at either/both - to give a reco? (Both seem to get good ratings on Trip Advisor.)

Any other restaruant recos would be good too. (My previous trips to Tampa have been for business - all groups meals - nothing special.) We like all types of food - but prefer a little sophisticated if possible.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 08:49 AM

There are many differences btwn. the Grand Cypress and the Don but the biggest is location. The Grand Cypress is in Tampa next to the airport on the Tampa bay (think mangrove shoreline no sand). The Don is on the Gulf 30 minutes away (think beach). Both are spectacular. The Don is a historic building circa 1920s. I think the Grand Cypress was built in the 1980s. My personal choice would be the Don Cesar because I love the beach.

If you were at the Don, I'd have at least one meal there. Their restaurant is excellent. What other types of food would you want? Tampa has good gourmet restaurants, tapas, Cuban, Italian, seafood, and very good Asian restaurants.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Any cuisine is fine. But we're NYC semi-foodies - not ever meal has to be a poem - but it does need to be great ingredients and a reasonalbe quality of cooking. (Don;t mean to be condescending - but have had some truly ghastly meals at "gourmet" restaurants in FL - esp the dreaded Orlando.)
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Ah Yankees Spring Training. Truly one of the best times here in Tampa. We have had season tickets (if you can call it that) for them since they arrived in Tampa from Ft. Lauderdale. I am longing for March already.

I think the Grand Hyatt and the Don are truly the best two in the area. Tandoori Girl is right about the differences in the two (well she is always right!). If your goal is beach then definitely the Don. If you want to be close to Legends, the airport, and shopping, then Grand Hyatt.

Malio's is an institution in Tampa and many Yankees can be found there. However, there is talk it might close by the end of this year. If it is still open in the spring, head there.

You asked about meeting players as well. The best is to get to batting practice early and wait for the players to leave there to go to the main stadium. The other thing is once you get into the stadium, head for the first base line seat area for autographs/pictures. The guys warm up on the field and that is about the best spot to try to get some to sign or to snap a picture while they are exercising. That's where our seats are. Be warned though! There is one really cranky security lady who might shoo you away. If you can't get tickets to the Red Sox games (which might be really difficult), the next best is the opening because they usually have a great cermonial first pitch person. For many years, they were also doing fireworks after the night games on the weekends but I don't recall them last year.

I hope you are able to come down and enjoy spring training.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Coldwar, I'm jealous of those season tickets of yours. Everytime I go I enjoy it more, and it's interesting to see the new players getting in the game.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Yankees play other teams at other spring training camps. After you've tried Legends you might want to go to other FL cities and see them play away games.

You'll find your best food in Tampa, IMO. I suggest you have some Cuban food while here in the spirit of Tampa's decade-old latin community. Go to a cigar bar or Ybor City and have-a-tampa and a mojito. A grouper sandwich at the beach is always numero uno for me. Relax, relax, relax...
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help - I'm putting it all in the file. Will decide on the hotel after consulting the beau - I'm not a beach person but he may prefer the Don Cesar. And we will be sure to have a grouper sandwich!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

One last try!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:13 AM
OO

Tandoori Girl has made a mistake! The Grand Cypress is one of the Hyatts in Orlando, Tandoori. This one is Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. We do have a small sand beach too, adjacent to Oystercatchers swimming pool. Guests use it primarily for sun bathing. I wouldn't swim in the bay though, not here, not anywhere. You can fish though, if your beau enjoys that, nytraveler. There is a long dock(currently shortened by about 1/3 from hurricane damage, but slated for repairs this month providing they are still on schedule.)

NYtraveler, coming down from your area, especially if you enjoy the beach, I'd recommend staying at the Don over the Hyatt. Both are beautiful hotels but it'd be nice to be right on the Gulf, rather on the bay. When you aren't at a baseball game, you can be enjoying the beach.

If you really aren't interested in the beach however, then the Grand Hyatt would be a great choice--10 minutes from Legends Field and convenient to the other activities in Tampa, such as Ybor or Channelside. From the Don to Legends Field is probably 35-40 minutes.

I am not a baseball fan at all, (and that's putting it mildly), so when I heard we had something that would force attendance at one of the spring training games last year I groaned....loudly. Well, as it turned out, it was a fabulous evening! SO much fun! Our seats were the row directly behind the dugout, so the temptation to rest your feet on the dugout roof was huge....but guards were posted at both ends to prevent that. It was sort of amusing as ticked-off fans would put their feet up just to be contrary as soon as the guards turned their backs...then took them right down again before the guards turned back. If you sit anywhere near this area, watch the fun. lol We were practically on the field, in the midst of the action, and I'd go back in a minute it was such a great time. The complex is very impressive considering it's just a spring training venue. I was quite amazed that I'd never realized what all was there...and how cool it could be! So...yup, we all can be wrong. We just try not to let it happen too often.

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

I think we'll go for the Grand Hyatt - now just waiting for the schedule to be announced so we can pick dates for the trip.

Ta to all for the info!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM

OO, thanks for setting the record straight. I'm always forgetting the name of the Hyatt. Maybe you should make a game where you put the hotels on Tampa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -